Usual boost pressures for a 7.3L ?

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
i tried calling ITP but no answer.

this is why is went with ITP's Overboost annihilator, quoted from website...

"Don't be fooled by competitors selling cheap electronic "do-dads". We've replaced a number of these due to their effect on low speed, low boost drivability. We don't mess with the electronics, the PCM and MAP Sensor maintain 100% normal connectivity with no electronic interference. Instead, we simply prevent the MAP sensor from seeing more boost than we want by means of a regulator...a mechanical solution to a mechanical problem"

and another thing, I was looking at SP Diesel's equivalant of the map maximizer and it was the abou the same price.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my boost gauge taps in the "see pic", and its a mechanical gauge so it should have no affect. The previous owner installed it there, is that a good spot.

Just my .03 cents worth but IMO you get a better No-Shi* reading of boost pressures that are going into yer heads/cylinders from the MAP line. That reading is after all the boots, pipes, Inter-Cooler, IAH (if you still have one) .. but just before.. the compressed air is forced into yer intakes.

Who ever tapped in to the "Y" pipe must have had another theory but..:dunno

I get 25-28 psi on demand, 30 if I stab it.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
I have an 02 7.3L 4x4. I was wondering what the usual pressures are for a stock motor? I have a AFE stage 2 intake, superchips max programmer, and 4" turbo back exhaust no cat. When I get on it I'm running close to 30 pds. of boost. I have owned the truck for about 3 yrs now and I dont experience any turbo lag. I was just tring to figure out if the owner before me had done anything to the turbo on the truck. Thanks for any info guys.
My guess is with your mods, and those readings your turbo is stock, with one caveat. Okay, two...

YOur wastegate has almost certainly been cranked down or disconnected all together. Or possibly you have a big head. Check the wastegate actuator to see if it says anything like "Banks" or "Big head" on it to see if it is modded. If it is stock, then my guess is the guy disconnected it (is the pressure line connected to it or not?) or cranked the actuator down.

The second would be a turbo wheel or housing to get rid of surge. Do you ever hear your turbo making an oscillating sound like psst psst psst psst over and over again really fast, or a sort of warbling howl coming fro0m your turbo? This is surge. Don't let it do that, and if it does, mods are in order to cure it unless you want to be like me and just drive your truck really easy anytime you're loaded down, and pull out of it anytime you hear the sound. I hate it, but have not had the time to fix it yet because I am commuting 94 miles one way every day to work and back, and will be until October at best.

If it does not ever surge, then my guess is that the prvious owner fixed it already, and that would be another mod to your turbo from stock.

Hope that helps....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl