well i guess its rebuild time

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
tubzz said:
Rod Bearings with the PolyDyn "DL" Coated on them.
Probably another dumb question but what is "PolyDyn DL"? Bear with me, I haven't rebuilt an engine since about 1990 and it was a 6.9

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
This thread is getting seriously off-topic and I will have to lock it if you guys don't get back on-topic! :D :roflmao

then i would have to go upstairs and make a post about why it was locked and how their was nothing off topic and how you have it out for me:rant :cussing: :censored: :guns: :rant :watchout :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

the only dum question is the one not ask,crumm.we would never learn anything with out something being ask.
the PolyDyn DL is a dry film lubricant that oil sticks to. If there is a starvation problem, the coating is designed to keep the bearings from sticking to the journal.something that nasa came up with that has moved over to automotive stuff

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Terry if your looking for a machine shop to do the heads, get ahold of Grant Ellis (oldmachinist) in Tulsa.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found a machine shop that happen to have a powerstroke going out that morning. the block,crank,rods and heads will be thier saturday morning.he is going to hot tank and magna flux the block and heads.then do a miminal bore on the cylinders.line hored the the mains,install the cam bearings.balance the crank and rods.he is also going to polish and shot peened the rods.on the heads he is going to port and polish them and put new injector cups in.
i think thats it.
i have a street preformace cam and valve springs on it's way,the harden push rods came in.i still have to order the bearings and i will wait on the pistons tell i fined out what size to get.
going to send my h2e off to bean for him to tweak on.
it should run OK i geuss, ;)
one thing im haveing a hard time fineding (with going to ford) is lifter's.anybody have a idea?just like to put new in with the new cam.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Lifters

Tubzz,

There is a medium duty International truck shop in Festus or Crystal city, right in between on old 67. Kind of a hole in the wall, but I have gotten parts there before with good service and prices. There is also one in Cape somewhere on Kingshighway, may be able to find it on the net, I'll look and post back if I do.
I would bet they would have some lifters. Is it a ton more lift or just have more duration for higher rpms or something? Will stock hydraulics hold the lift or do you need some solids....other words, mild or WILD cam.

ON EDIT:
They are everywhere. There is archway diesel in st louis and o fallon too I thought of. Goto
Navistar.com and look at the dealer locator....

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
tubzz said:
one thing im haveing a hard time fineding (with going to ford) is lifter's.anybody have a idea?just like to put new in with the new cam.

You do know they are roller lifters and they don't really wear out, according to my old employer. We rebuilt a handful of PSDs and several vortec 350's that are also hydraulic roller cams. We didn't replace the lifters in them as long as the roller end felt good. OHC engines have roller followers that we never replace either.

I can get you new lifter through that shop. So you know, as of last year there are only 2 or 3 lifter making companies. Let me know if I can help.;)

Last edited:

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
LAWN MOWER MAN.....:roflmao :roflmao you got a good game plan buddy....I don't know doodle squat about opening up the runners in these heads, but have put in a few hours in final polishing of top alcohol and nitro Alan johnson and rodeck aluminums . Is your guy gonna open up some of the restricted runners that we've all read about in varoius threads or is he just gonna "slick 'em up? best I can determine only a few of the BIG HP guys have found some tricks with porting, and they don't throw them tricks out for us......
you didn't mention if he talked about reseating the valves, a three angle grind would be sweet and have your heads as fresh as they could be and way better than stock..........

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jim,all i can say is i know a guy,who knows a sisters brother,who know a guy that has the insight on them heads:roflmao .

rooster,i know they are roller's.but i had a few that just didn't feel right.i problie could clean them up.but i would fill better if i just put new ones in.i did find some sealed power lifter. i think they was 13 a peice.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything went to the shop this morning.he told me i will have it back in 2 to 3 weaks.he said his think 20 thou would take care of the cyclinder walls and that it doesn't look bad at all.crank look real good to him so this just may not be as bad as i thought.he is going to balance everything and put the bottom end together for me.i just might have it to run at WFC9 with the wife

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14