What chip or programmer for 99 7.3

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I dont know but they look silly with tiny tires!

Yea true. I get decent mileage with these 285's. I'd like to go up to 33's or 35's. I know my mileage would suffer some but I think If I get tires that arnt that wide. Basically runnin skinnys instead of tires that stick out real far. That might help some right since less tread patch on the ground?

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
For what its worth I have a Bully Dog Triple dog tuner, with the driving coach. It is like a little computer that sticks to the window, it has 4 power levels including stock. It can switch on the fly, it says 100hp+ on the high tune. It actually monitors many things and can display 4. It monitors real time fuel economy, EGT with add on sensor, Boost, MPH, RPM, Throttle position, Air intake temp, Baromoter, Battery Voltage, Oil Temp, Ignition Control Pressure, Transmission temp, and Fuel Usage. It has increased my fuel economy by at least 4 mpg especially in town. I like the gauge options It can show 4 different parameters on the screen. It can read and clear trouble codes, it has a 1/4 mile performance tester. And the parameters can be downloaded to a computer after logged. I would go no other route.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
But thats not as customizable as the TS chips right? Its just preprogramed software right?

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Yea its pre-programmed. But you could still burn up a turbo pretty quickly with it on the Extreme tune, which having mods would let it run longer in extreme and I don't think I would need more than 100hp. It also has de-fueling options that can be set to let off on the tune if like the oil temp gets to high or the EGT gets too high.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yea true. I get decent mileage with these 285's. I'd like to go up to 33's or 35's. I know my mileage would suffer some but I think If I get tires that arnt that wide. Basically runnin skinnys instead of tires that stick out real far. That might help some right since less tread patch on the ground?

285's are 35's
and yeah, the smaller contact patch will have lower drag than the same tire with a bigger cross-section

just for grins, get on Goodyear's website and look at the difference between the Silent Armor and SR/A..
the switch to from the Silent Armor to the SRA was about 1/4 mpg almost instantly. Doesn't sound like much, but when the general rule is, "new tires get less MPG due to increases in tread flex" I called it a win.

Now if I had gone narrower as well, to a 235/85..
see what I'm getting at?

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea I'd think 35's would be the biggest I'd go. I'd like to put 4" lift on my truck. Think 4" would be enough for 35's?

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I ran 305 75 16 which are almost 35 with just a 2inch leveling add a leafs. Rubs a little at full turn but not to bad.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14