What chip or programmer for 99 7.3

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Oh yea gauges are a must. Already been lookin. I wont even install the chip till i get the gauges hooked up, not worth melting the motor. I will be gettin 4" turbo back exhaust with 5" stacks too. I believe my tires are stock size, maybe a lil wider. I did the tymar airfilter, cut the muffler off and replaced my EBPS pipe, it was plugged and rusted in two. I also add 14-16oz of tcw3 supertech 2 stroke oil. I figured my mileage manually. I drove it like an absolute grandma. I went a lil over 427 miles on a tank of fuel. I think it was like 17.8mpg. I keep hearin people gettin in the low 20's in mpg. I'd like to get up in that area. I mean im damn happy with what im gettin now compared to what i was gettin in my old rigs.

well, I tell ya..
20 is about the best you're ever going to see out of a 4x, and that's even with the right tire.
All-terrains, your 18 is about the cap.

anyone getting more than 20 on a Superduty is driving a 2wd.

Dave Whitmer knows more about getting MpG out a SD than most everyone else, and last I knew, his truck was getting about 26.

His setup is a six speed 2wd, with 3.08's, a GearVendor overdrive, a hard tonneau cover, an air dam he made out of conveyor belting, and the truck is lowered 4"

For you, I'd suggest 235/85R16's in something like a Goodyear SR/A or Michelin LTX and talking to Jody at DP Tuner about a chip. At least if you chip it, you can have it still get acceptable mileage, yet get out of it's own way when you step on the long, skinny pedal..

But from being in the tire business for over 30 years, I can tell you that MPG wise, your best friend is a tire pressure gauge.

Last edited:

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I have the DP-Tuner. I love the power and it definitely improved MPG! I have hand calculated Hwy MPG at 20 before also. Get your gauges and exhaust first!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea I keep my tires aired up good. I have 285's right now. Whats the right pressure to put in 285's? I've been runnin 50psi. What you think is the correct pressure with the truck loaded and unloaded? I will be dang happy with 18 everytime. Right now im gettin 11-14 since its winter time.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I run 60 psi everyday. Only add a few pounds for a big load. Tires are wearing even across the tread. That is the gauge you want to watch, tread wear. If the center is wearing faster than the edges, decrease the pressure 5 to 10 psi.

Dave :)

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I run 60 psi everyday. Only add a few pounds for a big load. Tires are wearing even across the tread. That is the gauge you want to watch, tread wear. If the center is wearing faster than the edges, decrease the pressure 5 to 10 psi.

Dave :)

My tires look great. Might be half tread or 1/4 tread left. I will try 60 next time. They are michlens, dont know if that matters but I know I aint gettin them again. Heard they are too soft. I read up on that PHP FU chip. Looks pretty cool with free unlimited tune uploads.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I have Michelin LTX MS2 285 75 16 and they are e load rated. They are not soft tires. Are you running e or d load rated tires. D load rated tires are to soft for a SD IMHO.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I have Michelin LTX MS2 285 75 16 and they are e load rated. They are not soft tires. Are you running e or d load rated tires. D load rated tires are to soft for a SD IMHO.

I dont know what the load range is I will have to check. I havnt had any probs with them at all. Tread is wearing good and even and I do keep them checked.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
OK
that 285 is taller than stock for your SD.. so your results are definitely skewed..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14