Question What did you do to your truck today?

atk

Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing how to do this myself Alex.

Write-up and photos please. ;tu

sorry no photo`s(camera is broke)

since i was changing my air filter, thought it would be a good time to adjust the steering box. after i had air filter out, proceeded to remove the I/C tube, battery and battery tray on that side(this also made it easier to get to the ps pump for removal and installation), to get a clear view of the steering box top. you may also want to remove part of the shroud that snaps on. it will make really easy access to the jam nut and set srew....

once there, loosen the jam nut(3-4 full turns) with a 5/8 wrench while holding the set srew with a 3/16 allen wrench. then you turn the set screw clockwise till it is snug(not to tight) and back it off a 1/16 of the turn. while still holding the set screw, tighten the jam nut and reassemble the rest....

i will try and find some pics of steering box....

KRISTOLSON also has a good write up about this. look in 6.0L POWERSTROKE engine and drivetrain section..."steering box gear mesh"....he describes a different way of getting to the steering box for this adjustment....hope this helps....

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Changed the rear end lube. I put in Mobil 1 synthetic lube and a shiney new aluminum cover plate.
View attachment 9764

BTW: the bucket up under the radiator is catching the coolant. Tomorrow's project is a new water pump. :D

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have my oil bypass kit now and was give some synthetic lubes by Motorcraft for the truck, but I have 2300 miles left before the oil change. I am running some Hot shotto fix a sticky injector on the truck and it worked, ford said it was fine now.

atk

Reaction score
Alex, did you do this to straighten the steering wheel or to tighten up a sluggish steering wheel?

did this to remove play(tighten up) in the steering....will be getting a front end alignment this week(got a new alignment machine at work today....:sweet), that should fix the steering wheel being off centre....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
greased the rear u-joint...
still has the vibration..
bought 2 more joints to do the rest of the driveshaft..

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I finally installed the Marinco plug-in for the heater block cord today.

I have only had it for about 2 years & it took all of 30 minutes to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14