Window tint

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I had mine done. But I am planning on giving it a shot on the wife's Explorer.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not worth my time and the little bit of "savings", besides MOST installers have access to better quality tints than we do....

And you could do just like you did when you bought your truck, call around a few shops and price it out...

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I started installing window films(commercially) in 1989 and have seen many good and bad quality products out there but it's true what John stated is that installers usually have access to higher quality materials.

The off the shelf film can produce good results if done right but for the ease of things I recommend you run it by a high quality shop in your area Scott that warranties their work :sweet

North Carolina Window Film permissions

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I've installed double 5% on limos and RV's in the past now that's dark:sweet

Just be careful that you don't push over 35% on the fronts as it could net you up to a $200 fine and the officer/trooper might break out the tile blade on spot and scrape the film enough that it'll need replacing:(

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
WD40 said:
On my 06 Crewcab, the back doors are darker than the law allows. I had the lady to put on a lighter film because I am a law abiding citizen and would never want to brake the law.:roflmao :roflmao
:cop sign here please

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
My rear are done in 5% and fronts are 20%. I am thumbing my nose at the authorities, I don't have a front License plate either.:cop Some day I plan to go 15% front and 5% plus a layer of something lighter over that.

I'll take the fine, but that better keep the razors away. Don't believe Texas Law allows for an LEO to do that:nono: .

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Had a buddy doing the same as you Kevin, until he tried to get the truck inspected. They wouldn't pass it, and because of our new inspection laws, he couldn't take it somewhere else. If you fail you must return to the same station that failed you. So your tint is in the hands/opinion of some highschool punk. My buddy had to remove his tint.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I like pushing my luck. Right now I am barely above the required 35% and it is hard to tell by looking. I've yet to have an inspestion place care about anything more than emissions, and we are currently exeempt from that. And yes last time it was a high school punk. After his test spin w/ the chip on high he wanted to know when he could borrow my truck.:drive I told him when he was making the payments.:tounge

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I started installing window films(commercially) in 1989 and have seen many good and bad quality products out there but it's true what John stated is that installers usually have access to higher quality materials.

The off the shelf film can produce good results if done right but for the ease of things I recommend you run it by a high quality shop in your area Scott that warranties their work :sweet

North Carolina Window Film permissions
Thank you Bill!! I appriciate the guidence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58