Window tint

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The law states that they must operate. Lights must light and windows must roll up. Sorry to rain on your parade

Dave

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Not in Texas apparently, per Texas DPS

05.02 Inspect Every Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80 Inches Wide For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
21. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Overall width is determined by measuring from the widest part on one side to the widest part on the other side of the vehicle. In some vehicles this may be the dual wheels which would be considered as part of the width. Do not include an outside mirror or mirrors in determining overall width.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Item 20 if they REALLY wanted to be anal. But I don't think the law REQUIRES you to have side glass, but if you DO, it has to pass a tint test. No glass, no test. Get a piece of that moulding that goes between your oven and countertop and cut it to fit each window opening to hide the glass. If the inspector presses the buttons and you have pulled the fuses, no worries. Extreme? No, I think outside the box.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The safety inspectors always check the how deep the sunband across the windshield goes on the truck(cannot go below AS-1 bug),tho legal the front windows are usually down:rolleyes:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The Dude said:
where could a guy buy good quality tint?
Believe it or not but Gila Films available at Autozone in our area has cut and installed well at least for me:sweet
I think Pep Boys also carries the Gila brand in some stores.

If you have WalMarts up your way they carry Axius which installs pretty good too.

MaxumDuramax

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
15% is Factory tint, I have 4% on drivers and Passengers windows and 2% on the rear window pane.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yepper, Bill we do have Wal-Marts, I thought about attempting it, but a buddy of mine knows the guy who owns a shop, Im gonna call him and see what his price is going to run me. For the front 2 and a 5" strip across the front of his 'burban, he paid about 50.00. I dont think that is too bad!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
HCAbowman said:
Yepper, Bill we do have Wal-Marts, I thought about attempting it, but a buddy of mine knows the guy who owns a shop, Im gonna call him and see what his price is going to run me. For the front 2 and a 5" strip across the front of his 'burban, he paid about 50.00. I dont think that is too bad!
That's a very good deal Scott! See if metallized film is available as it'll reflect alot more heat than standard film will.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58