Help Needed Won't start. Using auto enginuity

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
None of those values are cranking, they are all key on engine off. When it was chugging it was giving off a light blue smoke. Not at all uncommon for this truck when cold. I'll try to do a cranking test tomorrow morning. If I remember right, the program has about 6 different windows, which have a long list of items that I could monitor during a cranking test. What should I be monitoring.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
check for cranking HPOP psi(minimum 500psi needed to fire injectors). verify this is not the problem....rerun the injector buzz test. this will determine electrical side of injectors is working. if you get it running, do a cylinder cotribution test(if you can and post results)

when cranking, see if the sync switches to "yes"....

if i had my works scanner, i could go out and get you some acurate values. i can see if i can into the shop tomorrow....

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
I just tried a cranking test, and was unable to find a way to get an hpop value. Unfortunately I didn't write down the values for the sync and cam and crank position values and as soon as I disconnected the conputer I lost the whole screen. I believe most of the values were a 1. What does a 1 mean. It didn't give me a yes or no. I'll try again in the morning.

atk

Reaction score
I just tried a cranking test, and was unable to find a way to get an hpop value. Unfortunately I didn't write down the values for the sync and cam and crank position values and as soon as I disconnected the conputer I lost the whole screen. I believe most of the values were a 1. What does a 1 mean. It didn't give me a yes or no. I'll try again in the morning.

not really sure what 1 means(not to familiar with AE yet). i usually use an OTC or Snap-on scanner and they are set up a little different. i know some fellow members here do have the AE and maybe they will chime in to help with that one....let us know what you find out when you try again....

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
I just ran the cranking test again. Cam Position sensor failure test read, 0, was in green. CMP CKP in sync, 1 in red. FICM info for sync,1 in red. Injector control pressure 2000 in green, Injector control volts 2.6 green. I did run the buzz test yesterday and got no response. I heard nothing but my fuel pumps running, and the fan from the battery charger.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hey Walter.. could you get injector pulse width (IPW or PW) data?

atk

Reaction score
Wire Chafing Issues:
A variety of driveability issues can arise from chafing/shorting wiring, such as crank/no-start, stall, running rough, misfire, buck/jerk or lack of power. The most common location for this is the valve cover/cover bolts near the FICM or the intake manifold bolts where the harness routes under the air intake hose. The harness should be rerouted and any chafe points insulated with rubber vacuum caps. Other chafe problems can occur where the sensor harnesses route around the valve covers, thermostat housing, idler pulleys, glow plug relay bracket, and near the accelerator pedal assembly (adjustable pedals), and also near the PCM by the battery and near the relay box brackets at the left rear corner of the engine compartment. On Econolines, also inspect at the top edge of the computer, along the oil dipstick tube bracket and auxiliary A/C lines. Broadcast Messages 1407 and 3077....

JMO, but i still don`t think the FICM is the problem, your values are too good....with the po284 code, that is leading to injector failure(you may have more, which will result in a no start too)....with not being able to an injector buzz test, that is a problem. check your wiring, connectios and all fuses....

atk

Reaction score
No Start or Constant Engine Misfire:
There are several things that can cause this symptom, including a failed FICM (fuel injector control module). In cases where the FICM is at fault the condition should be present at all engine temperatures, and codes P0611 or U0105 may be set. If codes P2614 or P2617 are stored the cause is more likely to be a wiring chaffing issue. The harness will need to be pushed and pulled to determine if the harness is shorting out. WDS should be used to verify the injectors can be commanded on (injector buzz test) and that the FICM is powering up (datalogger PIDS FICM_VPWR: ignition power; FICM_LPWR: FICM logic power from relay; FICM_MPWR: FICM output power to injectors--47-50 volts). If an injector does not click during the buzz test, a test light can be installed between the injector connector terminals 1 and 2 and checked for illumination when re-running the test.
TSB 04-18-6

thought this might help too....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14