AC Shore Power Plug For Block Heater

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I finally finished the rgdillon mod. The only thing I had left to do was add the LED inside the cab so that I'd know when I was plugged in. Got 'er done today despite the bitter cold. I originally wasn't going to do the light since the Marinco provides good pullout protection, but I decided to add it as an extra reminder I'm plugged in and also so I can look from the house to the truck and see if I plugged it in (and the timer on the cord is on).

Here's a picture taken at night--hope you can see it okay. The light is mounted next to my X-Monitor. :thumbs

rgdillonmod2paint.jpg

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
location of the outlet

I have only had my truck 2 months and was wondering were is the main outlet for the heater block?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Jimmy T said:
I have only had my truck 2 months and was wondering were is the main outlet for the heater block?

The plug should be tucked away near the front license plate area. If not, it's probably still tied up in the engine area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your truck should already have the block heater coming from the factory. For me, it was a matter of bringing it to the dealership to get it installed, only to be told it was already there and needed to be fished out.

Once you locate it, I'd suggest adding the Marinco plug to the bumper. Gives great pull out protection in case you forget to unplug it. :thumbs

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look behind the passangers frame horn out near the bumper. It should be tied up with Zip Ties. Just cut one off and you can pull it out and plug it in.

Dave

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still can't find it! I know I have one it is on the window sticker that was left in my glove box. Pictures?

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a black three wire triangular "extension cord" type plug, with a black cord, with black zip ties in a DARK place :)
Hard to find...
on some years it's on the drivers side on others it's on the passenger side....
typically running vertically right along the edge of the radiator supports....
hard to see, but once you see it, you'll say dang why couldn't I find it :)

Double click on the attached pic of my 05 Ex to blow it up...
this is when the front end was off...
the red "square" shows the cord and the arrow is pointing to the end hanging down....
Hope this helps !

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
I finally finished the rgdillon mod. The only thing I had left to do was add the LED inside the cab so that I'd know when I was plugged in. Got 'er done today despite the bitter cold. I originally wasn't going to do the light since the Marinco provides good pullout protection, but I decided to add it as an extra reminder I'm plugged in and also so I can look from the house to the truck and see if I plugged it in (and the timer on the cord is on).

Here's a picture taken at night--hope you can see it okay. The light is mounted next to my X-Monitor. :thumbs

rgdillonmod2paint.jpg

I hate to ask....
but you got a parts list and a few details....
or is so simple like, splice in the back of the marinco plug and run a 120 volt led up to the dash???

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
I hate to ask....
but you got a parts list and a few details....
or is so simple like, splice in the back of the marinco plug and run a 120 volt led up to the dash???

Actually, it is that easy. But there were a few precautions taken simply based on the 120V wire.

First, I purchased a 120V LED lamp at RadioShack (sold in 2-packs for about $3). Then I purchased 10 ft of 14 guage wire in two different colors. I also picked up some plastic sheathing (is that what it's called?--see photos).

I hardwired the 14 guage wire into the positive and ground wires of the Marinco plug, then wrapped the wire in the plastic sheathing and taped the sheathing at 4" intervals to keep the wire protected.

The wire must then be routed into the cab somehow. I chose to go up the bumper, adjacent to the drivers side headlight, and around the edge of the engine compartment.

Wireupbyheadlight.jpg

Instead of going through the fire wall, I chose to run the wire around it and in the cab through the door opening. This may not be the best choice, but it's worked for all my auxillary lights and leaves the wires accessible for future repair.

Wirebydoor.jpg

After coming through the door opening, I popped off the plastic molding and ran the sheathed wires into the LED.

ProtectedWire.jpg

I mounted the LED near my X-monitor for easy viewing from the drivers seat AND from the house to see if I plugged it in and it's getting power.

LED.jpg

When placing the LED, remember you've got to be able to get a drill in there to drill the 9/32" hole. The sheathing was used to make sure the wires didn't rub on something and let that 120V screw the whole trucks electrical system.

I'd also like to point out that these instructions really came from Ron; he did it on his last truck and told me how to do it. Hence it's called the rgdillon mod.

Hope this helps. Perhaps this should be a WIKI article, but I don't know how to do that.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you dont get water leakes going around the door seal? you know right above where your wires enter,... that black plastic panel... gently pop it off there is a BIG hole behind it that lets you in the cab. i found mine by accident.
the tubing i believe is " convoluted" . I am on it now radio shack inbound this afternoon.
thanks

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58