AC Shore Power Plug For Block Heater

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Place an ohm meter between the two poles of the heater cord and see if you can get a reading, any reading. If not (reads zero) you have a dead heater. I don't remember the reading in ohms for a good heater, sorry.

Dave

I got a reading when checking the ohms; did it this morning so I dont' remember what the reading was, but it wasn't 0. So apparently it's working. I plugged it in again and thought I heard something that sounded like voltage--if there is such a sound--so we'll see what she starts like in the morning after plugging in tonight.:oops:

Tnegg said:
It seems like for would have had some form of idiot light on the interior ove the truck to show a connection.

I'm also going to get my lazy butt out and do the "RGDillon Mod"; that is, hook up the 120V LED light and run it up to the dash. When the power's on, the lights on. Gee Ron, now your famous. :hail

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
I'm also going to get my lazy butt out and do the "RGDillon Mod"; that is, hook up the 120V LED light and run it up to the dash. When the power's on, the lights on. Gee Ron, now your famous. :hail

There is an easier way to tell if you have power. :rolleyes:

Just pull the cords apart a little and stick your tongue on it.

Barrett

Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:

:notworthy Awwwww - I'd like to thank all the little people I ran over to get here, Mom, Dad and the guy at the parts store that sold me the light :D

:p

Ron

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed, and i havent got it yet, but on some newer explorers, and they must be built for canada or something, but it had a real trick plug on the bumper next to the license plate, i was gonna go to ford and ask if you can get one and use it on my superduty, was a nice plug, but that one marinco (sp)? one is pretty hot too..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
To check the heater simply plug it in and 5 minutes later climb under the truck and feel the end of the heater where the cord goes in it(next to oil filter). If it is hot to the touch it is working if it is cold it is not working. If it is not working the cord from the plug to the heater is probably bad. They go bad where they connect to the heater. if it is not the cord then it is the heater but they don't go out very often.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Crumm said:
To check the heater simply plug it in and 5 minutes later climb under the truck and feel the end of the heater where the cord goes in it(next to oil filter). If it is hot to the touch it is working if it is cold it is not working. If it is not working the cord from the plug to the heater is probably bad. They go bad where they connect to the heater. if it is not the cord then it is the heater but they don't go out very often.

I tried looking under the truck and following the heater cord back to the motor, but the cord got lost under there somewhere. If it's by the oil filter, you must be talking about a 7.3. I don't know where it connects on the 6.0.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if it is normal for the coolant level to rise from "MIN" to "MAX" when plugged in for 4 hours or more or overnight?

My truck is fine and my plug is working, but was shocked to see the coolant level at the "MAX" level.

If you need to know if your block heater is working, just plug in for 4 hurs or more and feel the upper radiator hose to see if it feels warm... mine does and that is how I noticed the higher coolant level.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
You must be talking about a 7.3. I don't know where it connects on the 6.0.
I guess I should pay better attention to what section I am in. Guess since this is the 6.0 section telling you about a 7.3 doesn't make much sense:sorry

Beachbumcook said:
Can anyone confirm if it is normal for the coolant level to rise from "MIN" to "MAX" when plugged in for 4 hours or more or overnight?
My 7.3 comes up a little bit when it is plugged in. It is normal for coolant to expand when it gets warm.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg