diesel strike april 1st-5th-dont buy diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like we all have very different opinions. Keep an open mind, most of what we know is what we learn, and some of what we learn can be BS.
:D

MONSTERPLOW

Cloud Booster 500HP
Reaction score
This is a story that got picked up by the media because they knew that a lot of people would respond with a knee-jerk. I did not intend to imply that the consumer should do nothing. My point was that a one day boycott by a handfull of OTR-drivers, and a bunch of guys with PSDs would have absolutely no impact, other than making them all feel like they are in a brotherhood!

What should the consumer do? If you had invested (bought stock) in a particular company, and it started declining over a long period of time, what would YOU do? Stay in, whine, and continue to lose $$$? Or leave the pig and go to something that was making money? If they can't afford the market they are in, get out of it until it improves! Buy a compact gasser, or a hybrid!

Exxon and the other oil companies aren't making their billions by gouging you. They are making their record billions on our record use. It's record VOLUME! This planet is using more petroleum than ever in it's history. The USA is using up most of that! The demand is high. OPEC is keeping the supply low, therefore driving up the "bid" (think NYSE) price of a barrell of oil. THAT IS WHAT IS DRIVING THE PRICE UP! Not Exxon....

Buying your fuel on Wednesday instead of Tuesday means absolutely nothing to the global petroleum market.

But...a bunch or OTR drivers think it's so simple that they can intimidate the largest corporation in the world into breaking. Really, how rediculous does THAT sound?

Ok , why is it that a less refined fuel than gasoline is higher? Were not trying to break anyone , again I believe in capital gains but this is rediculous.Also not bellyaching , just clueless.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point is, boycotting a market commodity for a day or two, and expecting it to have an impact, is a pipe-dream. Did you notice how many trucks were on the road yesterday? THERE OBVIOUSLY IS NO STRIKE! There never was going to be! So....A few guys lost a days revenue by parking their trucks, and bought fuel on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. Big whoop...

You won't beat Exxon by boycotting, so you may as well buy some Exxon stock (Symbol: XOM) and make some money from it, rather than parking your big-rig, pouting, and giving up a days revenue. Some of the dummies stayed in hotel$, losing even more money on a cause that never had a chance of succeeding....

The boycott is neanderthal in it's conception. So easy, even a truck-driver could do it! If the world economy was that simple, shouldn't we be boycotting milk, eggs, produce, electricity and such?

#1 im a truck driver do you have a problem with that? #2 it was cheaper for most of those drivers to park there trucks than take another loss on a load that pays less than the fuel for the trucks #3 The protest may have been small but it did get peoples attention its been all over the news up here and got plenty of attention. #4 just wait till your milk,eggs etc cost so much that you have to take out a loan to have breakfast.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 im a truck driver do you have a problem with that? #2 it was cheaper for most of those drivers to park there trucks than take another loss on a load that pays less than the fuel for the trucks #3 The protest may have been small but it did get peoples attention its been all over the news up here and got plenty of attention. #4 just wait till your milk,eggs etc cost so much that you have to take out a loan to have breakfast.

;tu Right On.

STAND UP and keep Sending Signals.

A VERY short Monday media piece: US Consumer fuel use for the 4th quarter of 07 was lower than in the past 3 years.

A Very short media piece this AM: Fuel is costing the US Military 153 MILION dollars.. a MONTH, due to rising prices. (and thats Tax free fuel)

And the Fat Cats are getting Richer ? Somethings Wrong here.

Last edited:

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu Right On.

STAND UP and keep Sending Signals.

A VERY short Monday media piece: US Consumer fuel use for the 4th quarter of 07 was lower than in the past 3 years.

A Very short media piece this AM: Fuel is costing the US Military 153 MILION dollars.. a MONTH, due to rising prices. (and thats Tax free fuel)

And the Fat Cats are getting Richer ? Somethings Wrong here.

Since we are over there helping Iraq, they should be giving us free fuel. Also they should be paying all our costs of being there. If not money then free oil. This is BS that we must pay in money and lives to keep their country safe, and they get a free ride. :rant

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we are over there helping Iraq, they should be giving us free fuel. Also they should be paying all our costs of being there. If not money then free oil. This is BS that we must pay in money and lives to keep their country safe, and they get a free ride. :rant

that was the way it was EXPECTED to work...but now that we're in
there (we ALL knew this would happen) we CAN NOT pull the FUNDING
& SUPPPORT out from under our Troops !

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Ok , why is it that a less refined fuel than gasoline is higher? Were not trying to break anyone , again I believe in capital gains but this is rediculous.Also not bellyaching , just clueless.

Part of the problem is the refining to get it to ULSD standards. I believe its refined 3 times to get it to the required levels of sulpher.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Hey, Kenholl, whats your beef with truckers? I own a couple of trucks, as do others on here. When fuel goes up 35-40% and your bottom line doesn't, it stings a little. Owner-operators in your opinion don't grasp the situation? So simple, even a truck driver can do it? Dummies stayed in hotels? Maybe the situation has gotten out of hand, and as there's no end in sight they are trying to preserve their business. Maybe to pay mortgages, put food on the table, and care for their families. Maybe stop one day and realize that truckers aren't all neanderthals. Thats quite the dim view you have of a large population of hard working, regular folks. Your opinions on the fuel situation are interesting. Your blanket remarks against truckers? You should be ashamed of yourself.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

it has much less to do w/ the REFINING PROCESS and MORE to do w/ the
DEMAND !

it isnt even as simple <anymore> as supply and demand...the demand
is up & the FLOW to the production/refineries is controlled (can you
say OPEC)....if they open the supply spigot the price will drop.

we're not the only consumers of diesel and the DEMAND is HIGHER
than its EVER BEEN...they charge what PEOPLE PAY & USE !

and additional factor in the price is driven by profit taking speculators
in the commodity exchange markets (wall street)...they BET that youll continue
to buy and that OPEC wont open the spigot anytime soon...and the more
the middle east is in turmoil the RICHER OPEC (and the traders) GET !

do some reading on

COMMODITY MARKETS & TRADING
HEDGING

understand that UNTIL we control the FLOW we cant control OUR price !
their is an associated cost w/ world POLITICS & we dont control that
either...everytime those nut jobs in the middle east or south america
say something anti USA the speculation traders go NUTS thinking the
US will be cut off from oil supplies.

THE ONLY way to solve this is to 1) USE LESS & 2) drill for oil on our OWN
turf !

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I agree, Bush, we are also competing more with China and other countries that only a few years ago didn't have the infrastructure that we do. India is a prime example. Suddenly, China and India are becoming less "third world" countries, for lack of a better term, and vehicles are more common. As far as using less, it would take little effort if everyone did it. As far as drilling on our own turf, I wouldn't hold my breath. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14