diesel strike april 1st-5th-dont buy diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Since we are over there helping Iraq, they should be giving us free fuel. Also they should be paying all our costs of being there. If not money then free oil. This is BS that we must pay in money and lives to keep their country safe, and they get a free ride. :rant

One thing is for sure... You don't hear anyone claiiming that this is a "war for oil" anymore! If it is, I'll sure be glad to see the oil!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I NEVER understood it to be a "war" for oil !

I thought it was a battle for <political> control & human rights...
hussein was USING & hiding WMD...he had been committing atrocities
upon "his" countrymen like he was untouchable !

March 16, 1988

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Corn Hits $6 a Bushel on Tight Supplies

These are the types of things that drive the prices.....

Corn Hits $6 a Bushel on Tight Supplies
"Another loser in higher corn costs is ethanol producers, who are struggling to squeeze out gains as corn's record-setting run outpaces the price of ethanol, currently at around $2.50 a gallon."

And how do the ethanol producers adjust? They raise the price of ethanol, which, in turn, raises the price of gasoline.

"Looking ahead, only the strongest ethanol producers will survive in an era of ever-rising corn prices, said Soleil Securities analyst Ian Horowitz.
"There are going to be some particular companies that definitely have the balance sheet and efficiencies that will be able to eke out a positive return in this kind of environment," Horowitz said. "And then there will be others that will suffer at the hands of $6 corn."

Now, I ask you...do we boycott corn???

Our economy is more complex than a boycott.

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Ok...........we are getting dangerously close to politics here.

Lets keep on topic or I will need to shut this one down.

Tbar

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score

"Oil supply to the market is enough and high oil prices are not due to a shortage of crude but rather it is because of the decrease in the dollar's value, shortage of refinery capacity and some political tensions in the world," OPEC Secretary-General Abdullah al-Badri was quoted as saying by Iran's official IRNA news agency.

Gee, you mean we need to buid refineries to get fuel to the pump?:dizzy

BRILLIANT!!:doh:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Gee, you mean we need to buid refineries to get fuel to the pump?:dizzy

won't help.
Oil is the new gold.
Remember the Golden Rule? Whoever has the gold makes the rules? Greed has come to commodity traders who borrowed cheap money last year, and now need to pay that money back, so they're artificially driving up the price of crude to make their money to invest in other futures.

But anyone that says, "the government needs to step in and do something about oil prices" is smoking the bong, because;
1. Like Mike says, "we don't want (or need) government meddling in private business"
2. The government (Federal, State & Local) have no incentive whatsoever to do anything about it, as high prices haven't slowed consumption, so the per-gallon taxes are still rolling in; and percentage taxes increase with the price of fuel, so Government collects more on the same volume of product.

They win & we loose, no matter what happens.

A few of us have gone out and bought fuel-sipping rollerskates.. we paid sales tax, we're still buying fuel, parts & supplies. We played the game and think we've won, but we're being pimped by foreign markets. We have no money in the economy to buy up raw material, like China does; we're buying consumable end product. Our money goes offshore, devaluing it even further.

How many ride a bike or use public transportation?

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I just got back from taking delivery of Laura's grooming van. What a trip, two days driving in the rain, two days getting the van roof converted, and even seeing some snow and sleet. In April.:eek:

Highest price paid for diesel: $4.20 a gallon in New Waterford, Ohio.
Lowest price paid for diesel: $3.77 a gallon in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Nicest surprise: Paying less than $4 a gallon in New Jersey, and having someone else stand in the rain to pump the fuel (no self serve in the Garden State):D

I topped off the 35 gallon tank in Knoxville, drove I-75, I-24, I-59, I-459, I-65, and Alabama 55 back to Florida. Drove right by the exit for Albertville, wish I could have stopped, Stephen, but I did think of the Bama Six Gun as I scooted down the slab at 70.

Hand calculated, that van gets 19 mpg with the bubble top on. I did throw some Diesel Kleen in the tank when I took delivery, the more I ran that truck, the better it ran.

My wife knows a groomer who had a gas powered version of the E-350 as a grooming van. She got 9 mpg. She traded it in on a Dodge Sprinter and gets 21 mpg, but that thing is even smaller than the E-350 grooming conversion.

As for the strike, I saw two bobtail tractors parked on an overpass over I-80 in Pennsylvania with a strike solidarity sign stretched between them. That was it. The road was full of trucks, and there was no shortage of RVs in line at the diesel pumps at the Flying J.

We'll take in the shorts and keep paying these higher prices while those in power dilute the value of the greenback. THAT is why prices are going through the roof. Our money isn't worth squat. As for selling the trucks we own, why? No one is buying them. Use them less, but hold on to them and use them. I'm waiting for the biodiesel plant planned locally to come on line so I can put some B-20 in the tank and support our local soybean farmers.

The best part of the trip? Getting home, having filled the tank in Knoxville, and still having a quarter tank indicated when I pulled in the driveway in Crestview. Sweet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14