Engine shake idle/in gear

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely.. At Their Age & Miles theze dayz.. Air In the Fuel.. From leaky pre-pump fittings.

Thanks Joe;tu Where and how do I start checking for that?

So I'm getting a steady supply of air in the line? I thought at first I just got some in there and it will get out after I run it some

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe;tu Where and how do I start checking for that?

So I'm getting a steady supply of air in the line? I thought at first I just got some in there and it will get out after I run it some

It can/will purge itself of air [some], "after running it some".. but after shutdown/restart, and at idle RPMs.. the air can/will get back into the system..from the faulty (IMO) fittings.. the whole Gremlin starts all over again.

Do a Search for "Air in the fuel system" (or the like) and Read, Read, Read. Digest whats being said. Think it through... Git back to us with any specific questions... we'd be More Than Glad.. to help

Joe

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can/will purge itself of air [some], "after running it some".. but after shutdown/restart, and at idle RPMs.. the air can/will get back into the system..from the faulty (IMO) fittings.. the whole Gremlin starts all over again.

Do a Search for "Air in the fuel system" (or the like) and Read, Read, Read. Digest whats being said. Think it through... Git back to us with any specific questions... we'd be More Than Glad.. to help

Joe

So I'm driving 8hrs this weekend back home...more than "some" driving like I do around town. So by the time I get home (without shutting it off) the air should be purged out of the system??...if that is the issue?

I took my chip out and ran it for about 10mi. It is not shaking hardly at all except for jsut the engine itself shaking the truck. Man I feel like a tractor driver again....I may be slow but I can pull a stump. I got to thinking about how this affected my truck and I remembered about 2 weeks ago when this started I was driving down the road....flipped the chip from 75 to 100. The truck jerked and kinda acted like a cps failure, came right back to life. After that, the throttle was really sluggish at first then would finally kick in. I took my battery cables off and left them off all night. Next day the throttle was fine but still had a shake at idle. I'm thinking the programming may have gotten messed up a little bit....but it still would respond to each tune to what it was set for. I also think about how the chip affects the fuel delivery so that may still be an issue I need to look further into.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Joe

So I'm driving 8hrs this weekend back home...more than "some" driving like I do around town. So by the time I get home (without shutting it off) the air should be purged out of the system??...if that is the issue?

I took my chip out and ran it for about 10mi. It is not shaking hardly at all except for jsut the engine itself shaking the truck. Man I feel like a tractor driver again....I may be slow but I can pull a stump. I got to thinking about how this affected my truck and I remembered about 2 weeks ago when this started I was driving down the road....flipped the chip from 75 to 100. The truck jerked and kinda acted like a cps failure, came right back to life. After that, the throttle was really sluggish at first then would finally kick in. I took my battery cables off and left them off all night. Next day the throttle was fine but still had a shake at idle. I'm thinking the programming may have gotten messed up a little bit....but it still would respond to each tune to what it was set for. I also think about how the chip affects the fuel delivery so that may still be an issue I need to look further into.

For the trip back home, I think I'm going to put the chip back in for fuel milage reasons. Without the chip I'm going to get 13-15mpg vs 16-20mpg with the chip.

JRJ04

Reaction score
as a rule of thumb, its never a good idea to switch the chip when you are moving and def not when you have your foot on the go pedal. it completely changes the way the motor runs and is probably best to let things "settle" once you change settings.

just my 2 cents...

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a rule of thumb, its never a good idea to switch the chip when you are moving and def not when you have your foot on the go pedal. it completely changes the way the motor runs and is probably best to let things "settle" once you change settings.

just my 2 cents...

I agree. I had never read that before...had to learn the hard way. From the desciption of the chip and what I had read, it was a switch-on-the-fly design...:nono:

It only does it when going from 75 to 100, and I didn't start running the 100 tune untill I got my 4" exhaust 2 months ago.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
well, switch on the fly means you can flip the switch when you want and not have to stop your truck, shut it down, and download a new program, then start back up and go.

I (and this is just my opinion) dont think it means you can flip it to whatever you want regardless of speed, throttle postion etc.

maybe when you flipped it, something got out of whack? I would try filling the tank and driving it to see if it purges the air.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its doing it AGAIN:rant. I replaced the fuel filter today and let it idel for 2hrs to see if it was air in the lines. Surely if there was air in the lines it would have been purged by then...right? I searched google about air in the fuel lines and I only found another forum saying that the fuel system was designed to purge the air. Can Ford's computer tell me anything that a snap-on scanner can't?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its doing it AGAIN:rant. I replaced the fuel filter today and let it idel for 2hrs to see if it was air in the lines. Surely if there was air in the lines it would have been purged by then...right?

Nope.

The fuel system, by design, will eventually purge any air.. from things like.. a filter change.. or some work fuel line work etc.. BUT.. as long as there are fittings like, the fuel pump inlet fitting.. the mixing valve set up in the fuel tank.. yer guna have [constant] (possible) sources for air to be SUCKED into the system.... whenever the key is on, engine is running.

Did you read up, in the WIKI/Search areas about the fixes ??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58