First time in the cold

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
thanks alot. yeah i'm gettin used to it i didnt think today was that bad. i will try to find a b2b around here. hopefully will get by cabelas too. i have ben to this one several times on the way to canada to go fishing and i havent even made it to the ones right around home.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have the heater? The cord is under the bumper on the passengers side. Its black, the cord is black, the zip-tie is black. Look around with a flashlight. When or if you find the plug you will need needle nose fingers to cut the zip tie and fish this thing out. Its kind of behind the tow hook area.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
will any damage b done if i continue to go without.

Depends on how cold you are talking. Above zero you will be fine. Below zero with normal oil and damage could occur. Stone cold starts are hard on the engine internals especially if the oil is like tar.

Ford states on there new engines:

To ensure proper bearing lubrication in ambient temperatures below -10 degrees it is imperative that the engine block heater be used. It is recommended the block heater be powered three hours prior to starting. In addition, it is recommended that a light oil such as 0W-40 or 0W-30 be used.

All engines new and old can be severely damaged by starting cold. Just because it starts doesn't mean it isn't being hurt. At home mine is parked inside but at work I have the block heater along with a oil pan heater plugged in.

No damage if it starts without the block heater. You might draw down your batteries.

Dave

Major damage can occur. I have seen it happen. Frozen oil does not lubricate..

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm's RIGHT....

improperly lubricated <moving> parts will wear QUICKLY...
crankshaft bearings/journals, wrist pins, piston rings, cam lobes,
lifters/rockers/push rods, ....NONE of 'em were meant to rotate
or move w/OUT proper lubrication.

overly THICK (cold or frozen) oil does NOT provide adequate lubrication

Last edited:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if it's that cold, it's also not going to fire the injectors. I mean lets face it, wear is gonna happen. It's probably going to happen when the weather isn't great, you can try to minimize the effects, but you're not going to stop it. Synthetic is probably your best defense based on it's much greater flow capabilities at temperature extremes.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Yeah, but if it's that cold, it's also not going to fire the injectors.

Not true. These trucks will start well beyond the point where the oil will not flow out of the pan. They will not run once the HPOP runs out of oil but by then the damage is done.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
so i'm tryin to find a cord because yes i have looked everywhere it was easily found on my 2000 i even took it to the dealer. they lookd and said i didnt even have a block heater...yeah i know. my only day off is sunday so only thing open was autozone so i tried to get a cord welll they are based in the south so even in the north they dont carry them. gotta try a new store tomorrow at lunch. what would be the best thing to do in the meantime just want to know what to do would rigging up a oil heater be the best thing and how would i do it or i'm oopen for suggestions just want to look after my baby and being a thousand miles from home and where i know the dealership owner kinda stuck right now on what to do

AK HDM

Reaction score
If the oil will drip off the dipstick, you should be O.K. Thats a rule I use. I, like Crumm have seen alot of engines destroyed because of cold starts. I've repaired a lot also.
I don't know if any of the auto parts stores there will have any silicone heat pads, if they do I'd get a 100 watt for the engine & a 75 or 100 watt for the trans. I think Kats or Zero Start make them. If you can't find the heaters maybe synthetic oil would be best, such as Shell ROTELLA T 5-40.
hope this helps.
Mike

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if it's that cold, it's also not going to fire the injectors. I mean lets face it, wear is gonna happen. It's probably going to happen when the weather isn't great, you can try to minimize the effects, but you're not going to stop it. Synthetic is probably your best defense based on it's much greater flow capabilities at temperature extremes.

not necessarily...remember theres .95 quarts in the hpop reservoir.

and just cause the oil is THICK doesnt mean that the oil pressure is lower.

synth. oil wont necessarily resolve this problem either....if the weight is
too heavy (in the winter) it sure wont get any thinner in the cold.

case in point...when you look at the "recommended" oil weight they
DO NOT make a differentiation between synth. & dino...

oil pan heater - Google Search

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
case in point...when you look at the "recommended" oil weight they
DO NOT make a differentiation between synth. & dino...

This is a very valid point...why is that? If you put a cup of dino and synthetic out in a cold garage [which I tried for the hell of it] overnight the difference is a real eye opener. At about 10 degrees you have to wonder how the truck will start. I see the owners manual will suggest a lighter weight oil, but no mention of synthetic.:dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58