First time in the cold

atk

Reaction score
also, make sure you are using some anti-gel in the fuel, just to be on the safe side...another option for a heater set-up would be, an inline heater that goes on the heater core hose...not sure if would be enough for a diesel, but it is better then nothing.(worked well on my gasser)...only other thing i can think of is, see if you can park your truck indoors somewhere....just my 2 cents....:D

AK HDM

Reaction score
First off get the cord for the block heater. Then get a pan heater, if you can't get a pan heater, change out the engine oil to a lighter weight. I would go with Shell Rotella 5/40 synthetic. Run fuel additive, especially if you have #1 or winter blend fuel . I like to plug mine in if the temps are +20 degrees or below, it is better on the engine.IMO

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i'm trying to find out what i need to do to protect my truck since i'm not a diesel mech and not usually around single digits temps so i dont know how my truck is reactingadn want to protect my investment i wish somebody would tell me what i need to do instead of bickering with each other sory if i seem short but i'm 25 and worked my a** off to get this truck and still do and i use it for my job so while a lot of people just have these trucks cuz they can and have the money when they never haul/tow nething or go off a paved rd (4x4) i do and i would liek something that will tell me definately if im in danger of screwing something up etc sry for the rude/pissy spell

its not bickering...the fact of the matter is it DEPENDS....on where
you are and how cold it is....

if youre having problems starting a 6.0 at 20(+) and above then
youve got other issues...glow plugs or gpr...probably.

below 30*(f) plug it in...it will start easier and YOULL feel better....
below the single digits (consistantly) add a pan heater....

consider running lighter weight oil....just like the guide in the
owners manual suggest !

and dont whine when you dont get the ANSWER you THINK you should
get...we ALL work HARD FOR WHAT WE OWN...educate yourself...and
figure out what works best for YOU.

bottom line...if youre in texas...youd RARELY need to plug your truck in,
much less add a pan heater !!!

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect answer Bushpilot. But you already knew that.

So it gets pretty cold down here in So Cal and I was thinking about putting in an oil heater. Any thoughts. And when i say pretty cold I mean 20* is the worst of it.

Thank you all for your advice I was under the truck the other day and I knew what i was looking at and where the block cord would plug in.

All good stuff. Thanks again

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cold is 20 degrees F? Man... I'm moving to CA... shoot, around here, 20 degrees is borderline jacket material! lol...

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
let me weigh in here:

my cord is currently toast and fomoco wants $170 installed and $69 for cord only. they say it is a pita cuz it snakes around the frame rail and such(iir, 2 hr. labor they said). i looked at it, it does not seem like such a big deal to install. will probably try and find it cheaper somewhere else.

so, i have been w/o one all of last winter and to the present. i AM running amsoil and when it gets really DAMN cold i glow plug twice. fires right off. (also running fuel additive) DAMN cold = below zero w/ a wind.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
So it gets pretty cold down here in So Cal and I was thinking about putting in an oil heater. Any thoughts. And when i say pretty cold I mean 20* is the worst of it.

If 20* is as cold as it gets I would not bother with a oil pan heater.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64