HONEST mileage - apples 2 apples

06 DSG SUPERDUTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
belive me nobody is more suprised then me and i was thinking it must of been a hell of a tail wind but is was a round trip
the truck is an ext cab, short bed with 3.73 posi and i orderd it with few options not shure if that makes a diff

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 DSG

Hi there;

How long was your trip? A trip of 200 miles or more is a good mpg check. If you checked it from a shorter trip, it would not be as accurate, due to possible difference in level of fill up. Use a calculator and divide miles by gallons used, and not a lie-o-meter. If this is what you did, then you got an honest 25 mpg.
I know the manual trans trucks get about 1 to 2 mpg better mileage than the automatics, due to converter slippage. Flat ground, 50-60 mph, no wind, empty, no tailgate, all play into good mpg. Where we live, flat ground is on the freeway, and 50-60 mph, will get you killed. All the big rigs do 65-75 mph here. 70 mph at 2000 rpm gets me 18.5 mpg, and I am more than happy with that.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
hey red, if you have a scanner, scan it in, and then you can post it with no problem.

no worky!! have tried..

keep sending in mpg reports guys!!

p.s. don't forget to put in the year. so far it looks like it is quite a spectrum of mpg's. it is interesting - at least to me..
:thanks

06 DSG SUPERDUTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dont have a lie o meter its only a XLT it was a 400 mile gound trip the first tank full i got about 12mpg but now that i have about 12000 miles i average 18 + or - around town that was the first time i took it on a long road trip
and i drive like an old man in the F250 but in my mustang i drive it like i stole it

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
17 mpg city
20 highway
12 pulling the fiver.

05 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 shortbed with 3.73 gears and automatic. I use the Tow Haul when pulling the fiver.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
Mileage...

I just took a 1,000 mile round trip from Chico to Pismo Beach, CA pulling a 6500# travel trailer. Starting mileage was 726 on the odometer, and ending was about 1735. I hit 10 mpg on one tank, everything else was 8-9. My TT is pretty tall, so I'm wondering if a shell would help improve mileage by cutting wind resistance on the front of the TT? Any one ever check before and after mileage when towing a full size TT, with and without a shell?

Also, regarding pulling the tailgate, I watched a "Myth Busters" on TLC or Discovery about that. They took 2 F150's with matching equipment, filled the tanks, took the tailgate off 1 and drove 'em till they died (I think they were rentals, so they weren't too concerned 'bout runnin them dry). The 1 with the tailgate went like 30 miles farther. They did some wind testing on models and found the tailgate up creates windflow in the bed that actually helps the air flow up and over the truck better, cutting wind resistance. They didn't try it with a shell to my recolection...

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage

I'm not happy with my mileage. I'm getting 9-10 in the city and I'm not really sure about highway, because I haven't made any long enough trips, but locally, I reset the meter when I got on the highway and it read 19-20. I've been told that the mileage meter isn't accurate, but as far as my city performance, it's been right on. I've taken it to the dealer several times because 10 mpg just isn't acceptable. If they can't fix it, I'll have to consider my options carefully. One of my coworkers picked up a new chevy duramax and he's getting 16 city and he's a lead foot. My truck doesn't see much over 2000 rpm until I'm merging on the freeway, or the occasional quick start.
HELP!

Last edited:

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
I'm not happy with my mileage. I'm getting 9-10 in the city and I'm not really sure about highway, because I haven't made any long enough trips, but locally, I reset the meter when I got on the highway and it read 19-20.
HELP!

I notice your signature line says you have 285/75R16's...If you change the tire size to a larger tire and you don't correct the speedometer gear, you are actually travelling farther than what the odometer says. When I had 315/80R16's on my '01, the odometer was over 10% off. This will affect your mileage because according to the odometer, you are not traveling as many miles per gallon as you actually are driving. Of course you are actually getting more miles out of your warranty too...:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58