I JUST KILLED MY TRANNY!!!!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
Or get a tranny and torque converter that can handle it!:D

If you could wait, my first recommendation Brian's Truck Shop but their website doesn't mention the 5R110. Next would be ATS...http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/ProductsFord/Transmissions.asp seems fairly reasonable for a built tranny but I'm not an auto guy.:tounge

Suncoast is another choice but again I don't know if they offer your tranny. But I personally wouldn't go back stock.:sly

rooster, don't think i could afford a tranny like that. if i had just stop doing what tore it up, i wouldn't be in this spot i am in now.

KIT-5R110-STAGE3-4

Part Description
-ATS 5R110 Transmission
-ATS 5 Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter
-ATS Deep Pan
-ATS Billet Input Shaft 4wd

$1,200.00 additional core charge *See below for terms $4,961.00 USD

sounds nice, but a chunk of change that i dont have.

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
JustMeandMyZ said:
Sorry to hear about the news there, Bama. Of what I have read in these posts is that you put the truck in 4WD on pavement. Doesn't that mess up the driveline? At least that is what the manual says. I thought doing that was a no-no. And on the drag strip? Dang!!! Somebody needs to explain to me how this works and to what advantage. And, do you need to lock the hubs when you do this? Sounds interesting. Something I would look into doing, to a certain extent, of course. Learn something new everyday.

i was sittin still and put it into 4hi, built upto 15 to 20 lbs. of boost, and put the hammer down, and it didn't go anywhere, let off the pedal and then it proceeded to move forward.

BUT, then it would not go into R when i tried to back-up, i knew from that moment, something was wrong.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I'm glad your taking responsibility. Some others would lie to Ford, get caught and still whine about it. Sorry the lesson was so expensive.

i appreciate that budro, was beginning to think you didn't like me too much, with all the name calling you give me. :roflmao :roflmao

i dont believe in lying:nono: , God hates a liar, dont want him hating me.

like the Bible says, "provide all things honest"

the truth hurts, to the tune of over 3000.00 :boohoo :boohoo

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
Why are they charging you a core charge?

Scott

no core charge, let me see if i can remember the breakdown.

tranny = 2500.00

tranny cooler (i think) = 300.00

labor - 425.00

i am thinking now about an ATS tranny, if i can swing for the money.

jimmypage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would check with a local tranny shop the one i go to can rebuild mine and upgrade the clutches and torque converter for $2000 might be something to look into

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
jimmypage said:
i would check with a local tranny shop the one i go to can rebuild mine and upgrade the clutches and torque converter for $2000 might be something to look into

i dont trust the tranny shop here in town. had the tranny in our 2000 windstar rebuilt, had to take it back.

my dad had the tranny rebuilt in a buick 2 door delta and had to take it back.

same guy did both jobs. i am in an area, where not too many people are workin on diesels in the aftermarket area, if any at all.

what do yall think about buying a good tranny out of a salvaged PSD?????:dunno

jd87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be scared at all to buy one out of a wrecked one. Just be sure you can verify how many miles it has on it, best case scenario is if they haven't taken it out of the truck when you go to buy it so you can turn the key and see for yourself. otherwise, no matter how many miles it actually has, "it's got 35,000 on it" is all you'll hear.

I know a good tranny shop is hard to come by, but any dealership is gonna charge way more to get you back to stock than a new aftermarket "built" tranny is gonna cost.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
jd87 said:
I wouldn't be scared at all to buy one out of a wrecked one. Just be sure you can verify how many miles it has on it, best case scenario is if they haven't taken it out of the truck when you go to buy it so you can turn the key and see for yourself. otherwise, no matter how many miles it actually has, "it's got 35,000 on it" is all you'll hear.

I know a good tranny shop is hard to come by, but any dealership is gonna charge way more to get you back to stock than a new aftermarket "built" tranny is gonna cost.

well, i really cant knock my dealer, they have benn real good to me. i can take my truck to them if i am havin problems, and they will take me right back and take a look at that quick.

i didn't know if there was a "better built" torqshift out there. roosterdiesel put me on to ATS, brian's garage, and suncoast. i have heard of all 3, but never thought i would one day have tranny needs.

i really like the ATS stuff. the service manager told me he didn't know of any "souped up" trannys to replace the factory torqshift. i told them to go ahead and order the new one, but now that i know i have options, i will be checking into it tomorrow. if i decide to go with something other than the factory rebuilt tranny, i hope they can send it back.

we will see.

jimmypage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it might be worth doing some home work to see if you can find a shop even if you have to travel a little bit atleast you could upgrade the tranny so you dont have this problem again i just wait for stuff to brake then spend the money to upgrade pay to play thats what i am doing on my rearend right now my pinion broke with only 20,000 miles and the dealer said it is cause of my lift so they want $4100 the build a new one so i am taking it to my shop and build a better one for half the cost

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58