I JUST KILLED MY TRANNY!!!!

jd87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they make one specifically to replace the torqueshift, but if there is another tougher tranny out there that fits the 6.0, my personal choice would be to go with that, but if there isn't another option to replace the tranny, I'd still look into building up a stock one to put in to prevent any future problems. We had an '01 that had problems with the automatic transmission. We were just going to have it fixed back up to stock until we looked into it and found out that having the stocker built up with a stronger torque converter among other things (I can't remember what all we got. so long ago and so many rebuilders later :D ) and even adding a shift kit while they were working on it worked out to be about the same cost. I know that's a whole 'nother animal being a 7.3, but just saying it'd be worth the time to really shop around to find out all your options. :goodluck

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
4wd on pavement is always hard on a vehicle (not talking AWD, or vehicles with viscous couplings in the X-case, etc)

basically you're trying to get all 4 wheels to spin at exactly the same speed. The problem lies basically with the fact that the front wheels turn (steer). Once they deviate from exactly straight forward, they are no longer the same as the rest of the tires. (think in a full turn - the outside tire has to spin faster then the inside) this causes what is commonly called "driveline bind" or "driveline wrap-up". effectively the energy from the bind is "stored" momentarily in the driveline components. It usually releases in the form of a tire slipping. In this case the tires couldn't slip fast enough and the trans released the energy instead. There's also a small chance that it did momentarily slip and then the wheels bit and shock loaded the trans.

in any event, it sucks :(

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transfer case will see the wind up not, the tranny... tranny feeds the transfer case. Probably just a matter of time before it went boom anyway. Although it does kinda make me wonder what the true torque capacity of the tranny really is though. That's not that far off from having a loaded trailer on a hill and mashing the go pedal... for a moment nothing's turning on the output side, and all kinds of power is being eaten up in the torque converter. I'd be curious to know what actually failed in your tranny. From the sounds of things, one of the planetaries or clutch bells came apart and jammed into something it shouldn't have. Either way, I'd be concerned about case warpage and alightment as to true center for longevity sake.

But all told, yeah it sucks!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
well, i just went to see how my baby was doin, and the new tranny had just arrived.

i did get some good news, originally, they thought the tranny, cooler, and filter would all be priced seperate, as it turns out, they all came together and already installed on the new tranny.

so i will save around 300.00 or so dollars, plus, a shop tech opened the pass. door while it was on the lift and took out a chunk of paint about the size of one of the smilies-mad . so they are gonna take that into account and the service manager told me yesterday that he would knock off 20.00 bucks an hour on the labor, so i got that goin' for me too.

gonna try and take some PICS of the busted tranny tomorrow when they pull it out. ben, the mechanic said they would have me ready to roll sometime tomorrow.

so please give to the "help buy bama a new tranny fund." :thumbs
any and all contributions would be greatly appreciated. :roflmao

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
did you tell your wife yet :roflmao :roflmao

did she beat the snot out of you for tearing up the ride :roflmao :roflmao

20lbs.....hhmmm

DAYUM youngin

i feel for your truck .
so when do the stiches get removed?
did your wife use a #2 chili bowl on your head?

seriously.....

I just cant be
:roflmao :roflmao
killed a torqshift :( :( :( :(

somehow I feel so good now :D :D :D

who loves you BABY :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member