loose crank bearings????

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
help, ideas etc

so what should i do????? please any help would be greatly accepted

dpantazis

Reaction score
bears- the diagnosis does not sound legit. there are plenty of high mileage trucks out there.

are PSD actually flywheels welded? that seems highly unlikely. i have never seen one. i could see the ring gear for the starter welded on, but not the hub.

you might give a call to the folks at brian's truck shop. tell them up front that you are calling for an over the phone consultation. they might take a moment to discuss it with you and give you an EXPERT opinion.

dennis

Last edited:

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
bears- the diagnosis does not sound legit. there are plenty of high mileage trucks out there.
are PSD actually flywheels welded? that seems highly unlikely. i have never seen one. i could see the ring gear for the starter welded on, but not the hub.
dennis

im calling ford in the morn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im getting pissed off now at them:rant :rant

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I think your tranny shop screwed up and installed your adapter plate wrong and is now trying to pass it off on you. JMHO.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
id be interested to hear what royboy says 'bout this one...

Here's what I say...

WorthLess

:D

I'd also have the shop SHOW you the end play in the crank. There is a certain spec for crankshaft end play (I don't know what it is without a 7.3L service book) measured with a dial indicator. If its beyond that spec, I suppose you could have a worn thrust bearing (especially with 265K). But I have never heard of it on the 7.3 as of yet... :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what should i do????? please any help would be greatly accepted

Follow the advice of Posts 11 thru 17.

I had problems with the Flywheel Welds. Never seen a 7.3 flywheel with ANY welds.

End Play, what is acceptable? I'd want to See the end play As they take the measurment. Not what they Say it is.

>IF< the Trans shop did some welding on the flywheel(?), did THAT cause the vibration? that ended up with out of spec Crank-shaft End Play ???

Lots of questions here.

Joe

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
IIRC the end play is .002-.003. Call any automotive machine shop that's a member of Automotive Engine Rebuilders Association to verify. I've heard of standard trannies eating the thrust but not autos as they don't have the thrust loads that clutches put on cranks.

Never heard of an adapter plate. The flex plate(fly wheel) bolts directly to the crank. There is a rear plate that houses the rear main seal but the auto tranny plate is a new one to me.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(A) Never heard of an adapter plate.

(B) The flex plate(fly wheel) bolts directly to the crank.

(C)There is a rear plate that houses the rear main seal but the auto tranny plate is a new one to me.

(A) Me Neither

(B) Mine does

(C) New to Me Too

:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14