loose crank bearings????

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
ill have pic's of the fly wheel and "adapter plate" tomorrow, and possibly the truck back, ill post my findings ,

as for me and anyone in the future, Brian's trans shop in AK is the way to go, will do so if i have to in the future:thanks

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
I got it back and the pics will be up later, looks like i cut out the center of the flywheel with a laser,?!?! so anyways waitin on the camera to charge then ill post pick. the manger at the shop appologized over and over for this, didnt charge me for labor, i just bought a new adapter and flywheel. from ford, they pulled the trans apart and found nothing.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it back and the pics will be up later, looks like i cut out the center of the flywheel with a laser,?!?! so anyways waitin on the camera to charge then ill post pick. the manger at the shop appologized over and over for this, didnt charge me for labor, i just bought a new adapter and flywheel. from ford, they pulled the trans apart and found nothing.

Well at least the Shop is standing behind their work.:sweet

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok heres a question for ya.do you plow?tow?

an auto tranny will eat a thrust bearing due to heavy hauling and pushing.the torque converter "balloons"when your trying to move a heavy load.ive seen it happen many times.i bought a motor for a truck once that had about 1/2"of endplay in the crank.it was shooting sparks out of the bell housing :eek: .the motor came out of a plow truck.ran sweet though.i popped the pan and thrust bearing out of it to see if i could get away with replaceing the thrust bearing.the crank and main cap each had a 1/4" groove cut into them.

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
yea

i had been towing a cargo trailer almost everyday and had just done a 3200 mile round trip right before it broke down, a lil weight the last trip was 14,000 lbs truck+trailer+ items in side truck and trailer:dunno nothing to much

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that scenario can def happen, if they are telling you the truth and the cranks walking you lost your thrust, there is a specific crank bearing that is called the thrust bearing that allows the crank to move back and forth ever so slightly, its only a couple thousandths, not even, it has to be able to move, if it was "tight" it wouldnt move right?? with as many miles as you say you have on the truck its def a possibility, this mostly happens in high horsepower race cars, mine, for example, small block ford, single 98mm turbo, powerglide in a 87 mustang, we always had to check for thrust goin out because of the long duration of stalling the car on the transbrake to build boost to launch, the problem would be that the torque converter gets soooo hot when bringing the car up on the pipe that it can expand, widen, and push the thrust right out. Same thing can happen with real heavy towing, extreme trans temps, or high miles. Get the truck checked out by a knowledgeable diesel mechanic just in case the tranny guys are tryin to pull one over on you, hope this helps

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok heres a question for ya.do you plow?tow?

an auto tranny will eat a thrust bearing due to heavy hauling and pushing.the torque converter "balloons"when your trying to move a heavy load.ive seen it happen many times.i bought a motor for a truck once that had about 1/2"of endplay in the crank.it was shooting sparks out of the bell housing :eek: .the motor came out of a plow truck.ran sweet though.i popped the pan and thrust bearing out of it to see if i could get away with replaceing the thrust bearing.the crank and main cap each had a 1/4" groove cut into them.

didnt see this post! sorry for my long repeating one!

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
ill definitely get it looked at asap just in case, cant take a chance on another trans problem thanks everybody, learned something new

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats for teachin' me something...didnt know the converters
COULD expand im guessing but wouldnt one of those
high dollar BILLET converter would REDUCE any expansion

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a billett converter may help, but it wouldnt prevent it, just one of those things that may happen if you tow allllllot and high miles dont help either, heat's heat unfortunately, and it can be a mofo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58