loose crank bearings????

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Anybody know how to change a thrust bearing ?? what does it require to do so?? I thought i would ask before i can take it to a dealer next week???? my be do it my self, ???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a big deal. I am assuming you mean the crank bearing. The engine needs to come out to get the crankshaft out. Replace all of the lower bearings while you are there; crank and rod bearings. GET A BOOK to show the torque specs.

Dave

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how to change a thrust bearing ?? what does it require to do so?? I thought i would ask before i can take it to a dealer next week???? my be do it my self, ???

not something you want to attmept if you've never done any internal engine work, like daveben said, motor out, crank out, and while you have everything out it would be crazy not to go through the shortblock, not like your gonna have the cab off your truck any time soon after that! at least hopefully not! lol...get witha good diesel shop in your area, dont reccomend the stealership unless you really wanna pay over 100 bucks an hour for labor, make some calls and do some homework before doing this, good luck with everything!

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
motor stuff

I'm doing minimal driving right now in it, phone calls will start tomorrow. So if the motor needed to get pulled the cab needs to come off my truck?!?!?! if so that sucks. i didn't know this as far as the motor goes I'm at a tose up, Ive done a few small block Chevy's but never a 7.3. This will be an experience :doh:hummmmmmmmmmmm what to do , what to do.

Anybody form around Houston (within 100 miles or so)TX know of any good diesel shops? or know someone who does???????????

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to change that bearing from under the truck, like the way we put rods and mains in a semi(in frame). You should have enough room to drop the pan and roll in a new set of bearings...I would change ALL the bearings if I was you and are gonna keep the truck.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to change that bearing from under the truck, like the way we put rods and mains in a semi(in frame). You should have enough room to drop the pan and roll in a new set of bearings...I would change ALL the bearings if I was you and are gonna keep the truck.

problem is the you have to pull the ENGINE to remove the pan...

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing minimal driving right now in it, phone calls will start tomorrow. So if the motor needed to get pulled the cab needs to come off my truck?!?!?! if so that sucks. i didn't know this as far as the motor goes I'm at a tose up, Ive done a few small block Chevy's but never a 7.3. This will be an experience :doh:hummmmmmmmmmmm what to do , what to do.

Anybody form around Houston (within 100 miles or so)TX know of any good diesel shops? or know someone who does???????????

yes the cab needs to come off to yank the motor, a couple guys on here have pics of it being done i think, theres also a pic of a 6.0 getting its cab lifted off in this months "diesel power" magazine, its not as much of a pain as you may think, def sucks, but is awful nice to get to everything when the cab is off :sweet

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
thanks

When i go get the crank bearings/ thrust bearing checked how will they do that? or how do they check for to much play in them to know it needs changing so i know someone isnt "pulling my leg":dunno

well i have my brothers truck to use while and if the motor needs pulling, I'm going to call everybody in the phone book tomorrow and get quotes on rebuilding the motor and also cost for me to do so. now I'm just thinking of where i can do this being the cab needs to come off. my house is a no go due to nowhere to do it and the hoa.

dpantazis

Reaction score
who else is in DFW to help bears out to find a shop?

bears-

as far as taking the cab off- sure you could go that route, but you don't HAVE have to. it can be done with the cab on. the 6.0's are easier to do engine work with the cab off, but its not REQUIRED on the 7.3's.

for all the trouble its going to be, you might be money and time ahead getting a long block or a short block. at least get prices on them to compare to the machine shop work. i know that it sounds $$$$, but you will spend lots less time and frustration going that route and you will have a warranty. short block in the neighborhood of 3000, long block maybe 6k and a complete engine for 7k. powerstrokeshop.com had some specials on all last time i was there.

dp

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58