No Fan

Jcart

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

Finally got/edited more pix of my dual fan assembly with some rough measurement, posted them in my community link look under truck pics and view at the bottom of the album.

THE_ALASKAN

Diesel Freak
Reaction score
My fan has been off for a few years now. Before the Van fan was discovered I went down to the local parts store and bought 2 12" fans and mounted them on the radiator. They've only come on maybe 3 times in the few years I've had them on.
On my wife’s 97 PSD, I took her fan off about 6 months ago and I even tow 2 snowmobiles and a trailer in the mountains with hers and I haven’t put the electric fans on yet. I do understand that I tow in Alaska where it ranges from -30 to +20 so it my be a little different towing conditions.
JIM

THE_ALASKAN

Diesel Freak
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Jim, what were the conditions when your fans did come on the three times?

2 times I was in 4Low with my 4000lb camper and my 24" enclosed trailer crawling up Hatchers Pass at 5 Mph driving over rocks, washouts etc... It was about 75 - 80 out and it took us about 1 hour of driving to get up the mountain. So I did work it just a tad....
The other time I was just setting at a traffic light and it just came on and then about 30 sec later it shut off, I just chalk that one up to the temp probe spazzed out because my antifreeze level was below the probe level so it probably read the temp of the metal not submerged in antifreeze for a few seconds.
Now I've been know to run down the 1/4 mile a few times and not a single time has my fans ever come on, now when I'm doing my burn outs and staging I have my fans on to give my tranny cooler a quick blast of air before I head down the track and on the return lane I kick them on to give the tranny a quick blast, but the first 4-5 runs I leave everything off to bring it up to Opp temperature.
JIM

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have been watching these no-fan threads for a while and am about to remove it.

Jim, do you run a winter front? I have a full winter front from Alaska Tent and Tart and keep it zipped up all the way all winter. My only concern with no-fan is when I start it up at work and let it run at 1300 for a while with the EBPV closed for a quick warm up. While it is warming up I am off parking the big truck and such and I would hate to return to a overheated truck. I suppose without the fan blowing -30 air across the engine I probably could get it to warm up without the EBPV. At -30 with the fan on it will not warm up without the EBPV even with the 203 stat.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I've had mine off for a couple weeks now, i know it's still cool around here but even driving in town i havent heated up past what i did with the fan.
On another note i was glad i took the fan off, begining off the week the radiator took a crap, it was so much easier to take it out and install the new one w/out the fan in the way. I made a bracket for my electric fan just havent had time to mount it yet.

jray3369

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I have been watching these no-fan threads for a while and am about to remove it.

Ha Ha I thought you were going to delet the thread... I couldn't figure out why?

Yeah im about to take mine off as well. Just trying to think what it may do towing a 8,000 lb trailer ?? I would put dual ele fans in.

timberjack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
jray3369 said:
Yeah im about to take mine off as well. Just trying to think what it may do towing a 8,000 lb trailer ?? I would put dual ele fans in.

It will heat up pretty quick if you have hills to climb. :wow

I had my trailer hooked up to my 96 a couple weeks ago with a couple cords of white pine logs. I took my fan off a month or so ago, and plumb forgot about it until the temp gauge started to climb rapidly, and the tranny temp gauge too. It took a mile to get up to speed, so there wasn't much airflow until i was almost home. The gauge hadn't moved at all just cruising around empty, and even at high idle for 15 minutes it wouldn't creep up. That's the first time i've ever had it heat up. I've got one more load of logs to bring home, but i'm going to put the fan back on to do it. :drive

If you've got your elec. fans put in, there shouldn't be much trouble, this summer i'm going to rig some up too.

Ken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58