Plant drive kit install

7.3turbodiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ic now with the mechincal pump. Sounds like a bit of work but nothing too extreme. Well when mine packs it in i plan on going to a electric pump setup, maybe one of the kits from dieselsite that deletes the fuel bowl. progress report on the install, still having a air problems so i got the shut off valves and plumbed them in. Afterwork i hope to finally get it going good.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
A three way ball valve plumbed in your vegoil return? That's what I got for my Mercedes... ;tu ..but it's not yet installed. For some strange reason every time I drain the Vormax pre-filter bowl or vegoil Racor filter or change the vegoil filter in the truck I know I'm letting in some air but she always starts right up without even a burp...even if I shut it off on VO while hot and change the filter and start right up. I know that with my vegoil return there is no where for the air to purge/bleed off to so I'm :confused: but am OK with it. :D

My plan is to get the fuel pump from Auto Zone since their price is the best and should it fail within a year (which it will :lmao) they are easy to deal with with exchanges.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well ic now with the mechincal pump. Sounds like a bit of work but nothing too extreme. Well when mine packs it in i plan on going to a electric pump setup, maybe one of the kits from dieselsite that deletes the fuel bowl. progress report on the install, still having a air problems so i got the shut off valves and plumbed them in. Afterwork i hope to finally get it going good.

Loosing the stock filter bowl is a bad thing IMO. You loose the heater. My 96 has the electric, fuel bowl delete fuel system and I fight with it to run BD. Wishing I had it back or I need to spend the 120 bucks to add the heater kit to the 2 fuel filters I used on the electric conversion.
Rick H...

7.3turbodiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure if i will have a problem with fuel temp with my system. But we will see. If I need the extra heat then i will get the system that has the fuel bowl and heater, but really i wont upgrade till run into a problem with my fuel pump. Well finally success, i ran my truck for about a half and hour on veg oil, no problems. Sweet, thanx alot u guys (bressler and hheynow) u have been so much help. One more question though my veg oil temp gauge never moved. It starts at 130 and the whole time it never moved at all. U think it might be faulty, it is inline right after my vegtherm mega and just before the fuel pump. Oh yea its mechanical also.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
One more question though my veg oil temp gauge never moved. It starts at 130 and the whole time it never moved at all. U think it might be faulty, it is inline right after my vegtherm mega and just before the fuel pump. Oh yea its mechanical also.

My IR heat gun tells me the Vegtherm heats to 170-180*F within a few seconds. Your gauge is the problem.

7.3turbodiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna pick up a replacement gauge after work tomorrow, do u guys add any additives to your wvo for cold weather or to stop bacteria? What about to your diesel fuel?

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I add Killem to my vegoil & biodiesel storage containers. I don't cut VO during winter because my system runs fine as long as I wait for it to be at least 180*F before I flip tanks. But I have cut VO during the winter as a test using kerosene but found it to be unnecessary and a complete waste of money. The Hot Fox is a really great item. What t-stat are you using? A 203*F? What size coolant loop hose ID did you use? How cold does it get where you live? Did you insulate your hoses? You'll be shocked at the heat loss from uninsulated hose running a long distance in the dead of winter. That's why all hoses under the truck are slipped through cheepo fatter heater hose, for insulation and abrasion resistance. During most of the year my rear tank has at least B50 so I don't add anything (The biodiesel portion is already treated with Killem). During winter when I start on pure #2 or a blend of kerosene I use Stanadyne Performance Formula in every tankful.

7.3turbodiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 203 tstat,1/2 cooliant hose for the loop and it gets down to minus -22f with windchill in the winter. Usually though it stays around 23f for most of the winter. I still am thinking about getting a circulating block heater for my truck to heat it up faster in the winter.

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Well changing my first fuel pump was far easier than expected. Threading the banjo bolt was a piece of cake since my hand was able to do 3/4 of the threading under the turbo pedestal. My 1 1/4" box wrench already had the box side bent enough for final tightening. The hardest part was fitting the newly replaced hoses from the fuel bowl. My FPR screen was clogged with vegoil. The entire valley is now clean and dry. My vegtherm's connected J30R9 hose fuel pump side was fused to the vegtherm from excessive heat. :eek: The fuel bowl heater was destroyed by the weight of the aluminum block insert as the wire no longer connects to the disks and the top of the wire shows abrasive wear. So I removed the wire and installed the plate back under the standpipe just so I'm sure it seals right. Good thing I'll be doing this every year because this fuel system running on VO does need periodic cleaning and attention.

Doing this on my own was a big time confidence builder. ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58