Steering stabilizer

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
spindrift said:
The X is by far and away the worse of the three vehicles. I towed our TT for the first time with the X this past Friday and I was all over the road; almost constantly correcting for sway. Real white knuckle kinda' stuff.
I can relate. I just purchased a new F150 SuperCrew and it handles like a sportscar compared to the X that we traded in. My F350 also drives much straighter than the X did. I never did get around to installing the Hellwig sway bars but I have heard and believe that they will cure 95% of your problems. The problem is not the steering stabilizer. The steering stabilizer is there to hold the tires straight on rough road and to keep road chatter from feeding up through the steering wheel. . The sway bars are to eliminate wander and sway. All I ever towed was a 21' boat and a smaller wells cargo so I never installed the bars but if you are going to tow your TT regularly they are a must have item.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^
You beat me to it. Telling what the steering stabilizer does. Has nothing to do with on road handling. Just pot-holes, etc.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spindrift said:
JBT...have you installed the r-rods on your '05 x?

No, Haven't felt the need to since I don't tow enough weight that it affects my drive :)

ZBeeble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly thinking about it after last night. Now... I've noticed, for instance, that the X is a little jumpy when I hit an expansion joint while cornering. I don't like it, but it's managable.

My X certainly doesn't wander.

But I'm unhappy with it's performance on very bad terrain at moderate speed. Up here in Ontario, we've had some cold, some warm and a lot of wet. Last night it was about 0 or -1 (32 to 30 F), foggy and the gravel road was snowcovered without much ice. Everything was fine and I was proceeding at my normal 80 to 100 kmh (55 to 65 ) when I hit a minefield of potholes. The X was a horrific handful over these... even at lower speeds that inevitably followed.

Now... is this mostly shock related, or mostly steering stabilizer related?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need both. You can check our advertisers for the shocks and a good stabilizer. The stock shocks are not worth a darn and will not last very long. 10,000 max on the shocks. I have 53,000 on my truck and the stablizer still works great. I have the factory one.

Dave :)

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZBeeble said:
Now... is this mostly shock related, or mostly steering stabilizer related?

Do you have a rear anti-sway bar. My '04 doesn't have one although I've heard of some that do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14