Stock Intake Feed Duct Mod?

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Sun. afternoon I installed the Tru-Cool trans cooler and when I had the grille off, I noticed that a huge piece of plastic (I guess its part of the plastic/ABS radiator support) is covering the stock intake feed duct. I didnt know that the it came out of the factory like this. And to think, I had it covered since it was bought back in fall of '01!!! :eek: So, being the badboy that I am :p , I took the cutting wheel to it and now it seems like it picks up a tad better. Have any of you noticed any SOTP gains in doin this mod? I did notice less smoke on the 100 hp setting ;) Thanks for any info!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You would notice even more of a gain by installing a Tymar open air intake or other open air system. The factory setup is restrictive all the way around and does not do the best job of filtering.

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
You would notice even more of a gain by installing a Tymar open air intake or other open air system. The factory setup is restrictive all the way around and does not do the best job of filtering.

Crumm I would install this K&N cone filter I have sitting here, but I'm afraid that it wont get along with my mods- especially the TS chip on 75 or 100 hp settings. :( I'm thinking about waiting to install a WW OR maybe I'll just install it and not go past the 50 hp setting :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Vindicator said:
Crumm I would install this K&N cone filter I have sitting here, but I'm afraid that it wont get along with my mods-
Why wouldn't it get along with the other mods? More air is good no matter what. I might add that many guys including me don't like the K&N because they are a pain to clean and they don't do a very good job of filtering. They have very large holes in the media. I like to toss the old one when its dirty and put on a new one not clean and oil, too messy. Some guys like them.

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Vindicator said:
Exactly like that BDTank :thumbs Except, I cut the whole piece out. I didn't make it purty like yours ;)
Sorry I cant take credit for those pictures, they are from the guy who came up with it, Zoodad. I have not done this to mine yet, when I do I'll put pictures up on my site.

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another guy from the "other site" put in a K&N knockoff and he stated that his BlackStone results were great. So, to make a long story short, I finally said "F-it" and put in the K&N cone. :rolleyes: LOL If I start to experience the surge, I'll throw in the WW...I really like the Darth Vader breathing after I let up on the throttle or when it crisply shifts gears with the FTVB. The filter is getting air from 2 places- the modified front intake duct, and the fender (where I cut a hole on the stock housing, and used a rubber fender intake boot from a 2003 Mustang GT). The hood seals the top of the filter housing from sucking in hot engine air...

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pertaining the Zoodad modification:

I am concerned with rain/snow gettign in and making the airfilter wet.

Have any of you experienced this driving in adverse conditions?

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been in THUNDERSTORMS @ too much speed in my two excursions that had this and nary an issue....
some have cut the hole BELOW the level of the intake such that the "extra" stuff in the air flow has to go UP to get into the opening...
some have put screen door screens across the opening....

I did neither and when I replaced my stock filter @ about 45k miles, there was very little "extra" in the pleating....
YRMV :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg