Stock Intake Feed Duct Mod?

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive quite a bit in snow and rain. Last christmas we came back from Phoenix through flagstaff and hit a nasty snowstorm at about 4000 feet. Drove for 8 hours that day and never had a problem.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

BK Meyers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
zoodad...

Thanks for the posts and pictures regarding the "Zoodad" mod. I was about to order a "kit" from Summit from a company called AirFury. It is simply the Zoodad mod with a paper template and screen to install over the opening.

You saved me over $40.00. :thumbs

Later,
BK Meyers

CHPMustang

Reaction score
BK Meyers said:
Thanks for the posts and pictures regarding the "Zoodad" mod. I was about to order a "kit" from Summit from a company called AirFury. It is simply the Zoodad mod with a paper template and screen to install over the opening.

You saved me over $40.00. :thumbs

Later,
BK Meyers
Nothing like saving a few bucks for when filling up with diesel nowadays :sweet

SDD Member "Chinookman" took some photos of the homemade Intake Opening Screen that would be worth the time checking out :cowboy:

Bill

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies.

Looks like I might have a weekend project after all!

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember - it's fiberglass you're cutting through,
so where a mask and don't breathe that stuff....

it's a killer :)

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
You would notice even more of a gain by installing a Tymar open air intake or other open air system. The factory setup is restrictive all the way around and does not do the best job of filtering.

Crumm,

What evidence do you have that the stock filter system on the 6.0L motor is not good at filtering and is restrictive... sounds like your opinion and not one based on fact.

Fact #1 - The filter on a stock 6.0L is made by Donnalson and is a proven design for army tanks and other heavy equipment in the construction industry. Ford has made it available as an aftermarket purchase for 7.3 motor owners since it is better than the stock 7.3 motor design intake.

Fact #2 - Aftermarket filters and intakes show the increase in HP and performance at or near 3,000 rpm's. Not to many people drive at or near 3,000 rpms, since 2,000 - 2,500 is cruising between 70 - 80 or so mph.

Fact #3 - Blackstone oil reports (done by many) have shown the stock system to be 100% perfect (not just me, but hundreds that have posted) - call Blackstone in Indy.

Fact #4 - Blackstone oil has done rpeorts for other users where they have high levels of dirt and other contaminents after installing aftermarket intakes and filters... they since switched back (other forum sites (FTE) this has been posted.

Fact #5 - The extra expense and warranty denial issues are not worth the extra cost and headaches for a few extra HP's. Dirt filtration (for me) is a priority over a few extra HP's.

I have no problem buying and using aftermarket intakes and filters, but I have not been shown one case where aftermarket company actually stood behind a user when warranty issues were at hand. Their marketing is slick and the dyno curves look impressive, but I never drive in the 3,000 rpm range and go to bed at night knowing that Ford WILL cover my truck for ANY reason!!!

Please, just post facts and personal experiences and not just marketing claims. Show where the stock filter is crap (on thew web or in testing) and I will post a "I am sorry reply" ASAP!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Beachbumcook said:
Crumm,

What evidence do you have that the stock filter system on the 6.0L motor is not good at filtering and is restrictive... sounds like your opinion and not one based on fact.
Jeff,

The original poster in this thread has a 7.3 NOT a 6.0. I have no idea what the 6.0 has for a filtering system nor do I care. The 6.0 has plenty of other problems so I have never even looked at one. I replied to the original post with an answer that is relevant to the 7.3.

Ford even admits that there stock filter for the 7.3 is not a good setup and so they came out with a different system for it. I forget what they call it but it is some sort of severe duty intake. There have been many reports of dusted engines due to the poor filtration system on the 7.3. The 94-97' 7.3's also had a filtering problem and they did a recall on the lid for the air box.

I suppose Ford probably learned from there mistakes and came out with a better system for the 6.0 but like I said I have no interest or knowledge of the 6.0. When you start posting your facts you should at least be comparing apples to apples rather than apples to oranges.

Last edited:

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok... everybody chill :)

let's turn this into that OTHER site we all left (or got kicked off of !)

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Crumm the severe duty replacement is the Ford AIS, it uses the updated donaldson filter element. Great filter and flows good with a fender boot from what I have heard and its not a warrenty voider. Since my dad has a 6.0 I have done a bunch of learning on them now and the stock air filtration setup is WAY better than the stock on our 7.3's. The only advantage to going with a AFE stage 1 on the 6oh is that the housing is metal instead of the factory plastic, the stage 2 does offer a gain if you have the exhaust and a chip or tuner, but to me its not enough to validate the $450+ expense. Sure the AFE has the Proguard filter but whats the comparison of it to the donaldson.

I'm using a homeade tymar style because like alot of people my stock 7.3 box had broken tabs. If I ever switch to an AIS or AFE stage 2 I will cut out the front like this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg