Talk about the 7.3L CPS Here!

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! My CPS went out and I just got a new one in. That dang bolt was TIGHT it took a 1/2 inch drive 10mm deep socket and a small extension on a 16 inch ratchet :eek: Had to buy mine at Oriely's, lifetime warrenty $113

Fire461

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cps

I found out about this problem all too well. I was 350 miles from home towing my bass boat for a tournament and just 2 miles from the ramp. She died! :dunno *&^%$#...........I had no frickin clue. Never happened before and I was furious. Had to call my fishin partner to come rescue me with his frickin Dodge (I'll never hear the end of that one) and he towed my truck and trailer back to our cottage. (I still hear about it 3 months later.) Having NO clue what the problem was.....I had it ($100 later) towed to the nearest Ford dealer 30 miles away and sure enough a bad CPS. Never heard of such a thing. After reading all the posts on here and other info, I am definately going to get a spare for the glove box and tools on hand for the next time it happens. I love my truck, but.....Why doesn't Ford DO SOMETHING about a frequent problem with this 7.3L Diesel? It obviously is not a 1/1000 problem. It is way too common for this motor. Does the new 6L Motor have this problem too?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No the 6.0 does not suffer from the CPS problem, but it has an EBP (Exhaust Back Pressor sensor) that is very similar in that it can leave you out in the cold, but mostly your truck will run (poorly).

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
You know after i replaced mine with a NAPA one i never had another problem.
even got frod to kick in my costs because the tech couldnt fix it. she left me stranded in the worse part of town at 430 am going to work.

i still miss that 7.3

Fire461 said:
I found out about this problem all too well. I was 350 miles from home towing my bass boat for a tournament and just 2 miles from the ramp. She died! :dunno *&^%$#...........I had no frickin clue. Never happened before and I was furious. Had to call my fishin partner to come rescue me with his frickin Dodge (I'll never hear the end of that one) and he towed my truck and trailer back to our cottage. (I still hear about it 3 months later.) Having NO clue what the problem was.....I had it ($100 later) towed to the nearest Ford dealer 30 miles away and sure enough a bad CPS. Never heard of such a thing. After reading all the posts on here and other info, I am definately going to get a spare for the glove box and tools on hand for the next time it happens. I love my truck, but.....Why doesn't Ford DO SOMETHING about a frequent problem with this 7.3L Diesel? It obviously is not a 1/1000 problem. It is way too common for this motor. Does the new 6L Motor have this problem too?

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I got a CPS form O'Reilly's today with a lifetime warranty. It is a Borg Warner part#CSS626. $113 w/ tax.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Yeah but the warranty is useless out in the middle of no where. So I will eventually pick up a spare to keep just in case.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Fire1 said:
I got a CPS form O'Reilly's today with a lifetime warranty. It is a Borg Warner part#CSS626. $113 w/ tax.
The funny thing is there's no way for them to test it if it's bad or not:D

Easy warranty!:sweet

bonestroker

stroke it if you got it
Reaction score
make sure your prongs are streat be fore you put it in when I did mine I bent one still had the same prob took it to ford and they told me bent prong still have a spare in the glove box.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
CPS

I just landed a genuine Ford CPS on e-bay for $51.00 as a spare. I wish I had a dead one to test along side of the new one. Does anyone know of the correct test? ohm's ?? I'll test that with my new one and find out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr