Talk about the 7.3L CPS Here!

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
Although I've never had a problem, I guess I'll have to get one. Especially with my truck being 3 years old. I have an extended warranty but that won't help me if I'm out hunting in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

JeffHK454

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yep, CPS will crap out at the worst times, In my case it was flat out dangerous! Loaded crew cab full of guys going offroad'n with a 4k lb Blazer and three ATV's on a 28' trailer. It didn't stumble or miss it just quit! It was also 4th of July weekend at 3pm on Fri. In rush hour traffic on I75 in downtown Cincinnati , and BANG no brakes or steering :eek:

Ford should be embarrassed that such a fine truck could be paralyzed by such a little part. :cussing:

Jeff

I also forgot to say that the truck had under 15,000 miles on it when that episode took place.

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mines been dieing at lights while at idle so I ran down to international since they are 85 dollers cheaper than Ford. Hopefully this will fix all my probs. thanks to having a SCMT I can now pull codes and come check to see what they are online. Great write up cause I got out to the truck and didn't know where to look. Thanks Ford Forgotten and all other SuperDuty owners who help too make this a great site with loads of information.

sailorb

Sailor
Reaction score
CPS Thank god for this forum

I have a 2002 F250 SD 7.3L diesel, 44000 miles. The darn thing just started dying, especially when cold. I found this site and BAM! Changed out the sensor, all is GOOD! Thank you all for all the info. The change out took about 45min or so with set up.
Just so we all have the part info
2002 F250 SD 7.3L diesel Ford Part info F7TZ-12K073-A, SYNCHRONIZER. There are cheaper ones if you have the time, I paid 180$. I plan on ordering another one cheaper 90$ or so for a spare.
Thanks again:thumbs :thumbs

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
That burns my A$$ cause that's what the dealer did after telling me the same thing. A pump regulator and 800 bucks later! It was on my 96 F250 PSD. I was spitt'n nails cause they had me due to my ignorance. It did fix the problem, but I doubt that it ever was now.
Oh and if the dealer try's that crap tell them they can deal with your attorney. If it's made specifically for the motor they can't null your warranty. They tried to do it to a lift I put on the same 96 F250 and pushed it until I refered them to a lawyer and they backed off.

Also I was talking to a vehicle transporter friend a couple of weeks back and he mentioned this being a common problem, but I didn't know what he was talking about, he said they used to jump them all together, but I did'nt have a clew so I had no comment. Can anyone confirm this working? Jumping it all together?

Last edited:

We_call_him_PONGO

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Please help....with our CPS issues

My husband has his 2000 7.3 350 diesel(named PONGO). He stopped driving it daily because he was fortunate enough to get a work truck. When we were getting ready to pull out our toy hauler in July to head to Sand Mountain, he fired up his beloved and the engine blew. We put in a new engine and ever since we have been having the issue with the CPS. I believe within the last 2months we have changed it roughly 4-5 times. It dies just over 100 miles. The truck is chipped and has many more amenities. So, what could be triggering this to happen so often? If you could think of anything to try we will. Thank you very much for your time!

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
There's a couple members in the community that has occasional issues with their trucks running ability when the Hot Chips are in a High setting causing stalling and starting probs.

Maybe turn it down a notch or two perhaps?

To help us help you enter your truck's information with modifications done(including chip manufacturer/model) to your signiature by hitting "User CP" in the upper left hand corner then click "Edit signiature" :)

Bill :thanks

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have heard of this before, but does it happen to all 7.3's regardless of year? I have an 03 with 33k on the clock. Maybe I should pickup a spare for my glove box too?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
You gottit right there Scott,all 7.3L owners should have a spare CPS in the glovebox:sweet

Bill :cowboy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58