Talk about the 7.3L CPS Here!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Bill, you know I have been trying to do my part in equipping someone with a spare cps but I have tried all the sales tricks I know and still cannot seem to get anyone to bite. I just don't know :shrug

CHPMustang

Reaction score
It's only when someone needs it immediately is when they'll come lookin:rolleyes:

Maybe we should rename the CPS to Hydrosilator as it seems to have a mind all it's own,sorta posessed at times:D

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
It's only when someone needs it immediately is when they'll come lookin:rolleyes:
Nope then they will go to the local dealer and pay over $100 because they need it NOW. I am in Alaska so Priority shipping takes three days. When your rig is broken three days is too long. Three days until the ebay auction begins:sweet

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
I looked up the procedure for replacing it in my manual and it has a hole deal on setting the engine to TDC and with a special tool for extraction... etc. It's very confusing for someone trying it for the first time. What do you suggest and like someone above said when it fails it's going at the most inopertune time and place. Can you just unbolt, connect new one and bolt up and go?

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
CPS replacement is basically a 10mm wrench and a screwdriver to pop the CPS out.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
CPS replacement is basically a 10mm wrench and a screwdriver to pop the CPS out.

I seemed to have better luck with a 3/8" drive ratchet, short (~ 3", IIRC) extension, and a 6-point, 10mm socket. I tried getting a wrench on the CPS bolt (while it was nice weather, during the day, in my driveway) as an experiment and the socket seemed to work better.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Whatever you use be it a wrench or socket, be sure it is 6 point and not 12. The bolt is easy to round off with a 12 point.

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks....$62.94 with shipping from ePay.:thumbs
CPS.JPG

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
CPS

Heh there guys. Be prpared for this failure. I took the bolt out,chased the threads and antisiezed the bolt. I grew up in a house where if it didn't need lock-tite, it needed antisieze.

02F350PSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck has only 42000 KMS and the CPS failed on me this past weekend. Tried to start it Saturday morning and nothing, cranks but no start. Had it towed to the local Ford dealer. They replaced the CPS and a module. Luckily it was under warranty, otherwise it would have cost over $1500!
Frank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58