water4fuel

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
yes. i was actually thinking about that myself, and i wonder if using more electrolyte would get the same effect as more voltage...another thing to test!

oilburner - no numbers yet! really busy, im picking away at it though!

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I found this website last night and has plans to build a pretty nice hydrogen generator. All you have to do is register for their forum and the plans are on inside. UmpquaEnergy.com

DZL JIM

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been working on this for almost 2 months now. A few tips:
1) Take some time and research, research, research, research. THEN experiment. You will NOT hit the gold mine anywhere near your first try at it. I spent 14 hours reading everything I could find online one weekend and learned a lot. Then it comes to experimenting. EVERY cell will react differently. Cell size and design, plate size and design, water volume, etc, etc are all huge variables that you will need to figure out yourself.
2) BE SAFE when experimenting. Wear earplugs and a face shield. Everyone says not to try to lite the hydrogen coming out of your generator, but if you're like me you'll do it anyway.:lmao Well, BAD idea. I've exploded several containers trying to dial in my cell. First time left me hearing a loud waterfall in my ears for 2 hours, after that out came the ear plugs. A Hydrogen explosion is something like 100 times louder than other fuels.
3) You MUST use at least one bubbler, and you MUST use a spark arrestor on the output of your bubbler. Off-the-shelf welding arrestors react no where near quick enough, you need to make your own.
4) Ideally you want the cell to be longer/wider than taller, as it takes time for the H bubbles to travel way UP your container. If it's long horizontally the bubbles escape quicker and net you more gas.
5) You MUST run a Pulse Wave Modulator for any real production. Yes, baking soda and sodium hydroxide can speed up production a lot, but the PWM on straight water should be your goal.
6) DO NOT use salt in your electrolyte solution.
7) You most likely will NOT be able to run a small engine (B&S) on gas from an HHO generator. You will need a fuel to get it running, then you can suppliment it with HHO. If anyone has done this on straight HHO with an HHO generator, I want to talk to them becasue I have yet to be able to do it. You have to do some machining to the flywheel to alter the timing of the motor to run on straight HHO, but with gasoline and an HHO suppliment you might have some luck.
8) You can use 12v with no problem with the correct plate/cell design.
9) Use 316 Stainless Steel, as it's the most corrosive resistant ss and is fairly affordable. I found McMaster Carr to have the best selection and prices.

If you're using steel tubes/rods, research 'Joe Cell', it's a bit different approach than using plates.

If I think of anything else I'll edit my post.

My first goal was/is to build a generator to power my LP towmotor. That's a hefty goal. As I am finding out, the generator needs to be quite large, even for that. To suppliment fuel economy on my Power Stroke I expect to have a very large complicated HHO unit, but in the end, it's just water you dump in to get fuel out.;tu

I have read that some trucking companies that run the $10,000 HHO units see $1500/month in fuel savings. I have not spoken with them first hand, only what I have read.

Good luck to anyone working on this, and please keep us all posted!

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
any info on your home-grown spark arrestor? i was thinking that the acetylene ones woulndt work, as you stated. just wondering what you did to make one.

DZL JIM

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There's a guy on youtube that's posted a lot on this stuff, can't recall his name.
He took a piece of PVC pipe, threaded barbs on each end and filled it with Bronze Wool. you know, like steel wool, but Bronze so it won't corode. I got the Bronze wool off eBay, pretty cheap, $4 I think, but Marine centers should have it for finishing boats or something.

Anyway, I made one and seemd to work for a little while, then I blew up a bubbler, even with the arrestor. So I made another one, MUCH larger. Haven't had time to really try out this other one, but I'm hoping bigger is better.
Now I have a rubber plumbing cap mounted on top of my bubbler so it should blow off before the whole container goes BANG...

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Now I have a rubber plumbing cap mounted on top of my bubbler so it should blow off before the whole container goes BANG...

thats exactly what i was going to do...no need for shards of lexan rocketing at my head, or other motorists!

DZL JIM

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thats exactly what i was going to do...no need for shards of lexan rocketing at my head, or other motorists!

I got hit in the 'nads the last time it blew up.:eek:
So it was priority one to get that problem solved...

Oilburner,
That is an AWESOME link!
EVERYONE should study that thoroughly!!!!!!!
It pretty much sums up everything I have learned in the last 2 months!

Last edited:

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you give me a few days I can do some research on the material that the flash arrestors are made of on a submarine battery. I don't know for sure if it will say what it is in the battery tech manual but I'll take a look at it when I go back. We have them on every cell to prevent a hydrogen explosion due to the hydrogen production during a battery charge.

Do you think the same electrolyte used in a lead-oxide battery would be any better. I don't remember the battery equation (chemical equation) is but I know there is sulfur in there along with lead and water. Just a thought. Anyway, I'll look into the flash arrestor material and get back to you guys. Hopefully this material will be readily available. Lucky for me I know where a box full of them are and I might be able to get a hold of a used one.:sly

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got one together

my friend got the parts and put a generator together. it isnt in the truck yet. we will see what happens. its a combo of the gorrilla one on you tube and the. generator from upaq......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg