Question Well I found that oil leak...

JRJ04

Reaction score
oil leak looks to be coming from a combination of the hpx line (which needs to be replaced with a ss one from itp) and oil blowing out of the boot that goes down into the engine. It almost looks to be more like its coming from the boot going down into the engine.

as far as the potential injector issue goes...why did it not do this before i had 3 injectors replaced? before, i could rev it and there was black smoke (to be expected) and no missing out. thats what concerns me.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil leak looks to be coming from a combination of the hpx line (which needs to be replaced with a ss one from itp)

* The oil leak >could be<, residual oil you lost doing the Hpx line install ? If not ?.. The Hpx LINE doesn't need to be replaced, the O rings do. Or, you could back the fittings off.. inspect the O rings, if still good.. re-tighten'm... Remembering: With "O" rings.. Tighter, Is Not better... :dunno

and oil blowing out of the boot that goes down into the engine. It almost looks to be more like its coming from the boot going down into the engine.

* IF the intake boot IS leaking oil, It's either loose or cracked. Tighten'm up or Replace both.

The check would be.... remove the Pass side I/C tube, at the pedistal Y, if the inside is wet with oil ? you have CCV caused, ( and then..Intercooler) issues.:dunno

as far as the potential injector issue goes...why did it not do this before i had 3 injectors replaced? before, i could rev it and there was black smoke (to be expected) and no missing out. thats what concerns me.

* Maybe, just Maybe.. Your Tuner [Fuel Mapping]... is not compatable with your PCM ? i.e., it runs fine in the Stock setting ?:dunno

Just some No, or Low cost things to Check Out.. before you throw more money at stuff ? :dunno

Joe

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Joe.

I'll need to give that hpx line more attention. I think youre right about the I/C boot. Hopefully its just residual oil from the hpx. There doesn't seem to be any oil coming out of the other boot so Im hoping thats it. I just gotta find some time when the truck is off the road long enough to check that out.

Injector issue...maybe taht could be the case with the PCM...I'll have to give Jody a call.

It still worries me though because I got to lookin at my back bumper and it almost looks like theres some oily residue on it...like it would have come out of the tailpipe...that cant be right.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It still worries me though because I got to lookin at my back bumper and it almost looks like theres some oily residue on it...like it would have come out of the tailpipe...that cant be right.

diesel fuel is oil..
and yeah, if you have an engine oil leak, you're going to get "black measles" on it.

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea im just used to seeing "suit" aka...burt fuel as opposed to raw fuel/oil on there...but hey, as long as shes running, getting decent mileage, and not sounding funny.....

I'm gonnna continue to play the lotto and drive the darn thing! :sly

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I had to revive this one...

I tightend up the hpx line...all looks to be fine there (no leaks that i can see or feel).

The I/C boots dont look to be blowing out anymore than the normal amount of oil.

This weekend, I ran it pretty hard in deep sand (fan clutch kicked in, tranny temp shot up, consistently ran about 800* egt and 12-14lb boost) and pulled a trailer with 2 riding lawn mowers on it (id say somewhere around 2k or so).

I had several 20+lb boost situations and after it was on the beach it was leaking oil on the ground again. I cant see where the heck its coming from!!! Could this be the turbo pedistal o-rings? It seems like when its run hard, is when it leaks more.

What do you guys think?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
did you put HPOP seals on it?
Mine's leaking oil, and I replaced the pedestal seals (f' in jewel of a job removing/reinstalling the turbo), but the leak persists..

so guess what I have to do next..

Right after I put head gaskets on the kid's Outback...

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
i dont think its coming from the hpop. I'd see a trail running to the back and I dont even see anything on the hpop leaking. I really think this is it becuase my turbo pedistal is all oily and nasty. I think this would make sense with the blueish/white smoke blowing out of the tailpipe too....oil is getting past and going out through the exhaust?

Now the question....how horrible is it to do this task? I know the turbo has to come off, but what a great time to replace the boots, and put in a WW!!! Should I even THINK about doing this or just leave it to the pro's?

JRJ04

Reaction score
hey guys, i talked to the dealership today about doing an pedistal o-ring job and they said it would take 4-5 hrs of time to remove and reinstall the turbo. sound about right?

i also talked to them about putting a wicked wheel on and they said they dont advise it becuase the shaft that its attached to is balanced and you could run the risk of throwing the balance off. they also said the wheel might be welded on and not screwed on.... i've never heard this before.

what do you think? i like these guys, but just think they might not have ever taken apart a lot of 7.3 turbos (probably becuase they've never had to cause the 7.3's are just good like that :innocent)

finally, would the hicup when i rev it be from oil getting into the exhaust via bad pedistal o-rings?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hey guys, i talked to the dealership today about doing an pedistal o-ring job and they said it would take 4-5 hrs of time to remove and reinstall the turbo. sound about right?

i also talked to them about putting a wicked wheel on and they said they dont advise it becuase the shaft that its attached to is balanced and you could run the risk of throwing the balance off. they also said the wheel might be welded on and not screwed on.... i've never heard this before.

what do you think? i like these guys, but just think they might not have ever taken apart a lot of 7.3 turbos (probably becuase they've never had to cause the 7.3's are just good like that :innocent)

finally, would the hicup when i rev it be from oil getting into the exhaust via bad pedistal o-rings?

yeah it does. That's about how long it took me to do mine, including the time spent running to International for the clamps that Ford said didn't exist..

as far as the Wicked Wheel, I doubt the wheel is welded to the shaft.. the two halves of the shaft are spinwelded together, but the wheel is definately held to the shaft by a nut

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58