What chip or programmer for 99 7.3

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Im in the market for a chip or programmer. I am starting to lean towards a chip but dont know. Im new to diesels. What do you guys recommend and what do you run?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my chip because I can switch on the fly. I'm going to have Tony Wildman over at tdp to reprogram my chip. As far as having a programmer to read trouble codes...I'm just going to setup my laptop on a mount in my truck and run autoenginuity. Some of the top chips/programmers are TS (or Tony's chips), DP, Edge, and some even like superchips. It's more of a personal prefference of how you want it set up.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
So a programmer you cant switch on the fly? I have an opportunity to buy edge juice with attitude cheap. Is that a programmer or a chip?

JRJ04

Reaction score
edge, superchip, are all programmers that you cannot shift on the fly. additionally...these are not customized so you are not going to get the performance out of them that you will get from a custom chip.

The best out there are DP-Tuner, TWildman, and PHP. They are all custom and will get you way more bang for your buck. give any of them a call and they will get you squared away.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Are chips easy to install? If I got a chip it would probably be from DP. I heard a lot of good things about them.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are chips easy to install? If I got a chip it would probably be from DP. I heard a lot of good things about them.

Pretty easy....just take the computer (idm/pcm??) out from behind your ebrake. It has a housing around it that if held in by screws. I can't remember how the wiring harness connects but its pretty easy to figure out. I did have to drimmile the caseing a little to run the wire out. Before you install the chip, you need to use some alcohol and something to scrub the coating off the computer board so the chip can make a connection. Make sure the battery cables are disconnected before doing all of this. I was looking at the F-5 chip...then I saw the F-16 I beleive it was. Sure would be nice to have the chip....but they can keep for what they are waniting for it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the batteries before you do ANYTHING!! You can easily fry the PCM if you disconnect it hot.

Dave

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
What kind of mpg you guys gettin from a chip? Im mainly in it for fuel mileage. right now im up to 18mpg and its all stock besides the tymar set up and running 2stroke oil in my tanks.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of mpg you guys gettin from a chip? Im mainly in it for fuel mileage. right now im up to 18mpg and its all stock besides the tymar set up and running 2stroke oil in my tanks.

If your in it for the mileage....stick with stock. I say this because with a chip there is that extra power and it is addicting to say the least. When you first install it, you will put your foot in it all the time. Maybe after a while you could learn to keep your foot out of it. But with 18mpg, it would be hard to get much better than that. Just my two cents. Personally i like the power and my mileage hasn't increased that much but i have seen the tanks where i had my foot in it:burnit more and got worse mpg than before.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea but I would definately like to have more power at my foot when i needed it. Im definately gettin some kind of power adder just dont know what yet. Im leanin towards a dp chip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58