What is your Fuel Economy?

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a used 08 F-450 on the Ford lot here. It has 7,*** miles on it and they are asking $52k. Fully loaded.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Personally, I think that GM's design was a stupid move, to make the 4500 and 5500 identical to the larger trucks. But that's okay, it's to Ford's advantage I guess. Does anyone remember in 50's and 60's when Ford's F-500's through the F-750's cabs were identical to the F-100/250/350 cabs with the exception of larger fenders and running boards? It's a marketing strategy or "whatever floats their boats". Can you imagine the 450/550 cabs being similar to the 650/750 cabs? Sorry to get off the subject...

All Ford trucks 250-750 have the same cab. They have always been that way and makes way more sense. The cost of having 2 cab production lines is crazy.

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
New Ford bulletin: fuel economy is too good

:roflmao Ford reflashed the transmission and engine computer on my truck and the fuel economy seems to have gone down. apparently there was a bulletin for the problems I had and still have. I have to tow 7,000 lb's tomorrow, thats the real test. I think it will fail. If I get single digit fuel economy while towing, I am going to start removing emission equipment. MBRP is making an exhaust with cat/particulate delete. They are just waiting for the chip company to be done with the regeneration delete. Some of you are saying: thats against the law. screw the gov. They make the car companies put all this emission crap on these trucks, and now the fuel economy gets cut in half when you tow.
the way I see it, if you are burning twice the fuel you are just putting more emissions in the air. the gov. is looking out for the oil companies, and I am looking out for me. I was on a Duramax and cummins site, apparently they are having the same problems. It has to be the emission equipment. I have to do something, because I cant afford to get fuel economy like that with fuel at $3.25 a gallon. Ford was saying these trucks would get better fuel economy than the 6.0's, they lied. I bought this truck because the test in diesel power magazine said 15+ MPG while towing an 8,000 lb trailer. They either lied or Ford gave them a truck that was set up to get that kind of fuel economy. I dont get 15 MPG empty anymore. what do you guys think

thanks
fasteddie

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
i couldnt agree with you more man! let us know how removing the stuff goes for you and what kind of problems you encounter. There is always a way to find loopholes and work your way around the stupid rules they make. good luck!

Jourdan

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
you know that whole twice as much fuel to go the same distance is a very good point. I would love to see the math for that like how much emmisions per two gallons of diesel under the new emmision control VS one gallon of diesel under the old emmisions both using 15ppm.

I find it hard that the emmisions has gone under 50% to make this a valid requierment. IF so then diesel should be half the price since its half of the effectivnece of gas.

sorry end rant.

Last edited:

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant even imagine. Desiel has just gone up to 3.60 a gallon in Southern California. I am just thankful that i am seeing 20 MPG.

My427stang

USAF Lunatic
Reaction score
I drive mine short trips, no choice, even if I went the long way I live close.

I started at 12.5 now down to 10.5 mpg with 2000 miles on the truck. I got 10.9 on a long trip with 9K on the bumper, but on my short runs I never get a complete regen until a long trip on weekends, and the mileage is horrible

It kills me to get only 10 mpg, after the 2002 got 14.8 on the same run and even my 6.0 got 14.5 or so on the same run daily. I love this truck to pieces, but I need to come up with a plan somehow, it's eating me out of house and home.

Hoping I can be one of the firsts to get a new strategy and exhaust, the truck would be perfect if I could get 14 or so around town

bigredram3500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I converted my 450 into a tow truck. Doing that, mixed highway and city it averages 10mpg. With as much as I drive and diesel at $3.80+ a gallon up here, it costs me around $1500 a month to keep it on the road.

As soon as I do some research and find a regen-delete, Im tearing out all the emmision to see what kind of difference that makes. I may have to park it and drive my old chevy and burn vegi oil.:dunno

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
Here is my mileage info so far. I have 6700 miles now. I drove 200 miles (60- 65 mph) 90% towing a 8000lb trailer or 3500lb trailer. My avg mileage on the computer read 11.2 ( after clearing it out when i filled up ). The manual figures came out to be 10.8mpg. I was dissapointed, but I know it can only get better with more miles. Plus diesel here is about 3.75 or 3.80 per gallon. I think a turbo back exhaust and an intake will help this out. I will probally do that after I get my taxes back. Any solutions.

pullurw8

Who Knows Really??
Reaction score
You all mean gallons per mile right?

Yeah Im new here but i just had to post this. I have an 08 f350 2 wheel drive lariat that is used for my transport business. The truck pulls with no issues ...except from 0-28500 mile it rode around getting a whopping 7.3mpg. Now that it has 33000 or so I have started toying with it. Using this for my bus. that kinda mileage puts a hurtin on your pocket. Ive gone as far as cutting out the muffler= nothing not even sound. then in my great wisdom i attempted to take the lid off the airbox and bungee the filter in place....hello up to 9.8 to 10.6 mpg WWWOOOOWWW. The next noticable improvement came when i was allowed to read an email sent to my ford techs from international. It stated that they basically in small terms screwed up in th r&d when they tested the engines. It went on to state that because the quietness of the engine most owners were observed...and i was one of them by techs from ford to put thier foot in it a little more because we cant hear the engine working. So in light of this and seeing if they were right, today I took off my "gas foot" shoe and observed. Damn there good. It actually seems that if you could feel the pedal the truck reacts the same with little or no throttle given as it does at about a 1/4 throttle...hhhummm. so since i bought this truck three months ago i have gone through a radiator, ac condensor and lines and an unidentified squeeling noise that no one can find, I must say that I have some windshield time. Any way being that the truck is 4 months old i have spent countless hours towing 12000-16000lbs over great distances and trust me when I say if it were a striaght stick and a 7.3 it would rock. But for now ill truck on with my whole 10.6 with no load only 5500lb trailer and 9.2 with a bungeed air cleaner and a 15000lb load. All in all the truck is what it is but man does she sound sweet when that turbo whines with the filter the way it is... No Im not a tech, so who knows if its my iman=gination but its working,.... Im a guy playing with this thing for better fuel economy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14