What is your Fuel Economy?

albyh3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Up to 6000 miles and getting @ 8.9mpg towing 11,000lb 5th wheel on hwy. No better than 14 hwy., with no trailer, and 12 around town. Hoping 10,000 miles + helps, but not too confident! When I see another '08 w/trailer, always the same = fuel mileage 'suks'!! ----2008 F350 SRW 4wd

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Up to 6000 miles and getting @ 8.9mpg towing 11,000lb 5th wheel on hwy. No better than 14 hwy., with no trailer, and 12 around town. Hoping 10,000 miles + helps, but not too confident! When I see another '08 w/trailer, always the same = fuel mileage 'suks'!! ----2008 F350 SRW 4wd

What gear ratio do you have? Just currious.

albyh3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
3.73 thankfully--- as I see it, that's the only rear available on the diesel SRW's. I've been reading some of the other '08 SD 6.4L message boards,
and by and far, abysmal fuel mileage is the #1 topic. The truck is a 'beauty' though, and towing my 5th whl. on the highway is so 'effortless', I have to keep looking behind me to make sure it's still there!

[email protected]

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not as good as I had hoped.

Dear Fast eddie, I got my '08 Super Duty in May and currently have 5200 miles on it. I put a 2 1/2" leveling kit and Toyo 35" MT tires on it that I don't think help the fuel mileage out any, but I am getting 11-12 mpg as a daily driver. I took it on a road trip to Idaho and put about 1000 miles on it, drove conservatively between 60 and 65 with cruise control and got 13.35 mpg tops, (that's calculated and not the truck computer) I pull a 25' Weekend Warrior toy hauler and got 9.9 (eek). The truck itself is one awesome piece of equipment and I am definately in love, but the lack of fuel mileage is a disadvantage at the pumps.
I am going to buy an 08'. I currently have a 2000 crew cab, four wheel drive f-250 long bed, with 310,000 miles on it. I previously installed a new set of injectors in at 300,000 and had to put a new cam sensor in at 150,000 miles. Those are the only problems I have had. I get about 15-16 MPG. If I can get the same milege or better with the 6.4L that would be a bonus. Let me know about fuel economy and any problems you have had.

Thanks,
Fast eddie

battinthecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just over 5000 miles now. If the Ford people are right I should see more MPG's. 10000 miles needed for break in, thought I might see a little improvement in the first 5000.Still stuck on 8.3 to 8.4. Still haven't used 4X4 or pulled my 16000 lb trailer. Mine is a 450 4X4 auto 4:88 with a 12' flatbed with about a 500lb load. Made 3 trips from Orlando to Central Miss. Rest of the drivingjust local. Any body else in the same boat?

fasteddie

fasteddie
Reaction score
I have a good one for you guys. I called my dealer, and he hasn't heard of anyone getting that low of fuel economy. Ha ha. let the games begin. He told me to bring it in. I told him that the transmission shifts slow, like it slips inbetween gears a lot. I am going to try to get him to up the line pressure. Then he said, at the same time they are going to check for problems causing poor fuel economy. No one else has had problems he said. 90% of there business is fleet trucks. I am taking it in this week. I will let you guys know what they say. Thanks for all the feedback. Hey Battinthecat, you must have went to Geico :thumbs

kju

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have 1100 miles on my 2008 f250 6.4 auto with the 3.73 gears and it is now at 14.6 -started out when i left dealership with 7 miles on odometer at 9.8 and after 150 miles it went up to 12.6 , at 350 miles it was at 13.3 .Hopefully it keeps going up some more !!

battinthecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
All right Fastone,I guess were even. I'm on my way home Tues or Wed, 670 miles. Then the trailer gets hooked up. If MPG's drop much I'll be on my way to Ford dealer. If no luck there might have to go see Mr. Dodge.

battinthecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Made my trip home last Tues. 8.4 mpg when I left, went down to 7.7 on the way home. 75 mph the whole way, ran fine but was sure not expecting drop to 7.7. Went to dealer to have some other stuff fixed. Asked for them to check out mpg problem. (this is a big dealership and sells only trucks,also was dealing head shop guy) He said if the truck was running good and warning lights had come on there was nothing he could do. At 6000 miles it was broke in and it is what it is. Dont feel badevery one that comes in has the same problem. I felt much better after our conversation. He also told me watch for big drop when I hook up trailer, oh boy. what would you guys do? I'll tell you what I did later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14