Reaction score

really....im a bit surprised you say that, because...mercedes
has been making this van & the diesel engine thats in it
several years...only recently did they start making it available
in the US and the US dealers havent been able to keep 'em
on the lot !

federal express (and now, ups & dhl) have bought the ****
outta these things

im sure its mpg is directly related to its directed injected 154hp (280tq)
V6....im sure its no speed deamon but itll certainly carry the
people in comfort.

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
really....im a bit surprised you say that, because...mercedes
has been making this van & the diesel engine thats in it
several years...only recently did they start making it available
in the US and the US dealers havent been able to keep 'em
on the lot !

federal express (and now, ups & dhl) have bought the ****
outta these things

im sure its mpg is directly related to its directed injected 154hp (280tq)
V6....im sure its no speed deamon but itll certainly carry the
people in comfort.
I'm thinking you need to drive one to really form an opinion. I test drove one last year when in the market for a cube van. Its a utility vehicle first, although you will see some people movers out there. As far as function over form, its a class leader. Very funky vehicle to drive, but MB really did their homework as far as designing a work truck. I couldn't get past the lack of power or the fact that it really can't tow much, even as a 3500 DRW. But for parcel delivery or light work, seems like a good choice.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
well, without getting really involved, all i can say is that i have worked on them every day for the past 6 years (came over in '02) and i will say that the older ones (02-06) arent terrible but arent great, the parts $$$ will kill you. the electronics on them are extremely finicky, and VERY expensive. after large electric storms i get a rash of control modules that have given up the ghost. the brakes are smaller than those found on a ford taurus. the transmissions fry like bacon if not serviced every 50k, and costs more than your e40d.

the new ones (07+) are JUNK!!! you are right, we cant keep them on our lot (we are the #1 sprinter dealer on the east coast last i heard) but we also cant keep them from being towed back into the service lot!!! junk, junkity, junk junk junk!!! i have dropped several cradles to replace parts that the robots forgot to weld, stainless steel exhaust bellows that crack and cant be accessed without dropping the cradle, 32 electrical modules that lie to each other causing all sorts of stupid problems. software revisions that change every 5 minutes, each one fixes one light, and causes another. engine wiring harnesses that are routed so poorly, and so tightly, that they are chaffing through at 5000 miles, and they pay around 20 hours to change them. if someone chages their oil, and overfills it by a teaspoon....it will cause excessive soot to build up in the egr cooler and clog it, the fault throw derates the engine so you can tow it or drive it in at 20mph, and then close to about $2000 worth of parts needs to be chaged. these vans are a nightmare.

the ups rep has told me that they wont be buying any more sprinters, their shops hate them, and the price for maint./tow bills is astronomical, and counteracts the fuel savings.

also...the mpg ratings are an empty rating, that drops off quickly if you load it.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
The REAL reason gas prices are so high

Here are the REAL reasons gas prices are so high...

1. Weak US dollar
2. High price of corn (ethanol)
3. Poor market speculation (futures).

Why record profits by companies like Exxon?
"As for the speculators, in the year 2000 approximately $9 billion was invested in oil futures, while today that number has gone up to $250 billion. Now, if any publicly traded company (read: Exxon) had an additional $241 billion put into its stock in the same period, its stock would rise out of sight too—even if the company was not worth anywhere near that amount of market capitalization"
There Is No Gas Shortage

Nowhere in the article will you see reference to "price gouging" by an oil company. The value (cost) of refined crude oil products is market driven. This begs the question, who are you punishing when you boycott a market commodity?

It should also be noted that the boycott is apparently over, and no apparent benefits resulted from it. This story fell out of the press faster than it arrived.

kenholl

Reaction score
Can oil companies reduce price of fuel $1.00 and still make billions in profit?

#1. Why would they? Why not ask corn-producers to simply charge less? Why not ask the feds to raise the value of the USDollar (as if that were possible)?
#2. If you worked your butt off and bought 10,000 shares of stock in Exxon, how would you feel if they started giving your gains (hard earned dollars)away for whatever your answer to question #1 is?
#3. If Exxon started giving away $1 per gallon from the market price, the shareholders would be selling off stock right and left to avoid a loss. How should Exxon explain to their shareholders the reason they are giving away that much cash? Every dollar they give away reduces the value of the company, which reduces the value of their stock.

Again, economics of this goes a little deeper than the surface.
-> Market value is NOT about what a company [like Exxon] is charging for a product.
-> Market value IS about what a buyer is PAYING for a product.

Everytime you pay $4 for a gallon of diesel, you are agreeing that it is worth $4 to you on that day, at that time. You might take a day off from buying (boycotting), but that following day when you go back to the pump, you go right back to agreeing to it's value. The market is currently bearing $4 per gallon.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
If Exxon started giving away $1 per gallon from the market price, the shareholders would be selling off stock right and left to avoid a loss.

by charging more, they are doing what is in the companies/shareholders BEST INTEREST.....MAKE MONEY!

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
You own lots of oil stock dont you. I dont think $4.00 a gallon is worth it I have no choice you moron!

kenholl

Reaction score
You own lots of oil stock dont you. I dont think $4.00 a gallon is worth it I have no choice you moron!

I am choosing to accept that your attack is misdirected.

Actually, you DO have other options that you have chosen not to excercise. All of us who continue to pay $4 per gallon have other options, but we view $4 per gallon as the lesser of the evils. For instance, you could sell your truck and buy a bicycle. I am in agreement with you when you say you would rather pay $4 per gallon than ride a bike.

I do own some oil stock, but not a lot. Even if I didn't own any, it wouldn't change the facts.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I am choosing to accept that your attack is misdirected.

Actually, you DO have other options that you have chosen not to excercise. All of us who continue to pay $4 per gallon have other options, but we view $4 per gallon as the lesser of the evils. For instance, you could sell your truck and buy a bicycle. I am in agreement with you when you say you would rather pay $4 per gallon than ride a bike.

I do own some oil stock, but not a lot. Even if I didn't own any, it wouldn't change the facts.

If you live and work in the city, or work is around the corner, a bike's a great idea. Or public transportation, if possible. However, if thats not the case, your stuck with the fuel prices. I would venture to say that most of the people on this site need a truck, at least part time. Although I have met some who never tow or haul anything. The idea of a really economical car can be overshadowed by car payments and insurance if you want to keep the truck and have a second [or third] vehicle. Can't wait to see what diesel's going to cost for winter of 08. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58