Ford -vs- Dodge fuel mileage

Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
i don't exactly thing dodge would allow that in their contract

Well - maybe not, but it is true. Go online to the Ford site and see for yourself - there are options.

But back to the topic - my boss bought a 05 Dodge 250 last fall and his number one complaint is his fuel mileage. He likes the motor - power, etc - just hates his mileage. Said he was expecting at least 18 or so - 13 is what he gets - and he very rarely tows anything - bed is empty.

Ron

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have, in the past, posted my opinions on various auto forums during "brand" discussions. The most recent was the Ford Mustang vs. Chevy Camaro discussion. I know that the LS1 is a faster motor and make tons of power relatively easily, but it comes in a package that does not suit me. GM interiors have been the bain of their existance for as long as I can remember. In this case, the Cummins motor is a great powerplant. Its in-line design and decreased amount of moving parts is great for longetivity, reliability, power and fuel economy. Once again, though, the over all package does is unfortunately sub standard. I wanted a roomy crew cab with a long bed, nice interior and reliability. Dodge does not offer that configuration, and the truck's styling both in and out leaves something to be desired. I don't want to stir the Ford vs. Chevy pot nor do I want to stir the Ford vs. Dodge pot. These are my opinions and they are ( I'm sure ) somewhat subjective in some cases. I think that Ford builds better overall products, even though they may not have the best power plant, or the most luxurious ride, or the nicest ashtray, etc.

Thanks for the space to express....
Bart

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
i don't exactly thing dodge would allow that in their contract
Dodge only has a contract with Cummins to supply the light duty trucks with the 5.9. What ever Cummins (a stand alone company) wants to do with the rest of th 5.9's they manufacture is solely Cummins' perogative, Cummins builds far more engines than Dodge sells trucks. In other words, Cummins builds the 5.9 and sells it to whomever they dang well please and Dodge better be darn glad that they get to put them under the horned hood.

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I wasn't posting this to get a battle started all I was after if why the Dodge got around 5mpg better than I do. I am a die hard Ford man and I wouldn't change if I had to. I am however concerned about the money I am losing in fuel as this is how I pay the bills. Now I don't care what anyone drives as long as they are happy with there purchase. Maybe I should have worded it better like, How can I improve my mileage to compete with the Dodge. I'm not looking for check your tire pressure, drive a certain speed, etc... I am looking for some kind of bolt on or bolt off parts to improve the mileage such as programmer, air filter, etc... I love my truck, she has never left me stranded and the Superduty is the best looking truck on the road. :sweet

Thanks
Scott

Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
. . . I'm not looking for check your tire pressure, drive a certain speed, etc... I am looking for some kind of bolt on or bolt off parts to improve the mileage such as programmer, air filter, etc... . . .

Scott

After testing and having several other chips/boxes/etc - I am thrilled with my Quadzilla (160). Does it make the most power? No - but it makes more than I need - most importantly it delivers really good fuel mileage. Interstate driving I get in the low 20's . . . My last trip up to Springfield MA and back all in one day - I averaged 21 up there and 23 coming back. This is pulling a 26 foot trailer with a Jeep Cherokee on it up there and empty trailer back.

The Quad box is very smooth. You don't even know you have a box installed unless you ask for it - then it gives it to you. Installation is under 10 minutes - no wires to cut - harness fits perfectly and looks like it's suppose to be there. Several safety features - it will not even kick in until the engine temps reach normal. If the oil and water temps get to far apart - it defaults to stock. Any faults and it returns to stock. I've just been really impressed with it - last box I will ever use.

Ron

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Well - maybe not, but it is true. Go online to the Ford site and see for yourself - there are options.

But back to the topic - my boss bought a 05 Dodge 250 last fall and his number one complaint is his fuel mileage. He likes the motor - power, etc - just hates his mileage. Said he was expecting at least 18 or so - 13 is what he gets - and he very rarely tows anything - bed is empty.

Ron
Ron
sure where yall are getting the info. but the only two moters offered in a 450 or 550 is teh v-8 6.0 or the gas 6.8 v-10
see below, somebodies salesman is full of horse droppings

Window Sticker 2006 Ford F-450 Chassis
4x4 SD Crew Cab 176 in. WB DRW Lariat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major Standard Equipment
Triton 6.8L V-10 SOHC w/SMPI 362hp
6 speed w/OD

4-wheel ABS
LT225/70SR19.5F BSW AS tires

Firm suspension
Automatic air conditioning

AM/FM stereo single CD
Dual power remote heated mirrors

Variable intermittent wipers
Polished aluminum wheels, chrome hub wheel covers 19.5" x 6" wheels

Dual airbags
Tachometer

Message center
Reclining front 40-20-40 split-bench seats

60-40 folding rear split-bench seat
Leather seats

Audio/climate climate control on steering wheel
16,000lbs. GVWR

5,600lbs. front GAWR
12,000lbs. rear GAWR

7,000lbs. front axle capacity
12,000lbs. rear axle capacity

5,600lbs. front spring rating
12,000lbs. rear spring rating

10.10cu.in. frame section modulus
36,000 frame yield strength (psi)

176.0" wheelbase
60.0" cab to axle

47.5" axle to end of frame
261.0" overall length

Left mounted muffler, left mounted tailpipe

Selected Optional Equipment
Base Vehicle Price $42,305.00
Order Code 658A N/C
Engine: 6.0L V8 Power Stroke Diesel $4,950.00
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual w/OD (Diesel) N/C
Transmission Power Take-Off Provision w/445/447 Included
Ambulance Prep Package Not Included N/C

: http://www.commtruck.ford.com/ctw/default.asp

Reaction score
powerboatr said:
Ron
sure where yall are getting the info. but the only two moters offered in a 450 or 550 is teh v-8 6.0 or the gas 6.8 v-10
see below, somebodies salesman is full of horse droppings

I was actually in agreement to your earlier statement in regards to the F650 - should have made that a little more clear.

Ron

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
no harm no foul, my 650 guy told the 7.3 was coming back to next year????

yall have a great weekend
I am going home now to my mountain top:D

one other neat thing to is the 450 and 550 come standard now with alum wheels vice them ugly steel ones

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RGDillon, thats the info I am looking for. What was your mileage before the programmer

Thanks
Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58