Ford -vs- Dodge fuel mileage

Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
RGDillon, thats the info I am looking for. What was your mileage before the programmer

Thanks
Scott

Scott,

As you know there are a lot of variables when it comes to mileage. So let's set this up first. To start with - I installed my first box when the truck had 27 miles on it. Just long enough to get from the dealer to my house. About 40K on her now and I'd say 35K of that is with a box of some sort (I've had five different ones). I'm not a slow driver on main roads and interstates - I could get better than I am now if I would slow down 10/15 mph or so. When I use cetane boosters that treat 100 gals - screw it - I add the whole thing to the tank (read the small print on the bottles). Also I drive in a lot of heavy traffic daily - stop and go - 0 to 60 to 0, etc.

So - to answer your question of "mileage before the programmer" - I really have to give it to you "without" the programmer. Example is I don't have the Quadzilla in right now. Doing some testing with it and sent it back so they can make some changes to it.

So anyway - daily towing 10 to 14K - I get 12/13 mpg without the box - 15/17 with the box. Normal daily driving - 18/19 with box - 16 without. All Interstate driving - 18/19 without - 22/23 with the box. The very best I have had was this last November - went to western NC. Was doing 85/90 mph - drafting with two cars and another truck - got 24.5

Funny thing was while we were flying down interstate 40 - we passed a lifted 2000 F350. I was like damn - I know that truck! Had to slow down to about 70 so I could wave at another NOVAPS member before nailing it to catch back up to the pack. Go figure - running into a fellow NOVAPS member over 250 miles from home:sweet

One last thought - oil. My truck runs better and gets at least 1 if not 2 mpg more when I use AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30. I'm also religious about keeping my tire pressure at max recommended.

Anyway - hope this helps you some.

Ron

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dillon, the oil was going to be my next question. I run Rotella T now and thought about switching to a synthetic. I know the wife gets better mileage with synthetic but I have never used it in my 6.0. I haven't ever run Amsoil and can't even get it local so I thought about trying Delo(?). Anyone else have recommendations on oil? Now about the tire pressure. Running them at max pressure will help on mileage but aren't you wearing them quicker?
Bud, thanks for the info but I need you to tell me how much 100k is in gallons. I never learned the metric system in school. :sorry

Thanks
Scott

Reaction score
rsjohnsn said:
Thanks Dillon, the oil was going to be my next question. I run Rotella T now and thought about switching to a synthetic. I know the wife gets better mileage with synthetic but I have never used it in my 6.0. I haven't ever run Amsoil and can't even get it local so I thought about trying Delo(?). Anyone else have recommendations on oil? Now about the tire pressure. Running them at max pressure will help on mileage but aren't you wearing them quicker?
Bud, thanks for the info but I need you to tell me how much 100k is in gallons. I never learned the metric system in school. :sorry

Thanks
Scott

AMSOIL needs to ordered directly from them and it's shipped straight to your door. Sometimes I run out of it and an oil change sneaks up on me so I use the Shell syn oil - no problems - but the truck just seems to like the 5/30.

As for tires - it's just one of those things I accept in life - I have to buy more tires than the next guy. In my last truck - an 01 dually - I went through three sets in 80K :dunno So far I have 40K on the this set and they still look good soooo -

Ron

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Mobil1 0w-30? Their website suggests that as the oil of choice...

I can't even believe I wrote that... the last time I put oil in our truck was 12 years ago and it was 30wt!

I have an '06 ordered and it should be here this week. What is the factory fill?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right ADD is a pain...

Does the Dodge have the full assortment of emmisions garbage? Cat, EGR etc? If the answer is no, that's probably where a lot of the gain is coming from.

The EPA is doing their best to destroy the most efficient engine cycle in operation for the sake of the planet... Sorry, I just don't see how CO2 is bad for plants, considering that's what plants eat to make O2 for us...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58