headlight bulbs....

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID vs Halogen w/harness?

#50 to this post :silly

1. Pure Diesel Power has a relay harness, 2 silverstars and the option to leave low beams on with high beams on, for $89+shipping, say $100.
Pros: brighter than stock on account of both bulbs and harness, reasonable cost, straightforward install
Cons: still just a halogen

2. HIDFoglight.com has the HID Xenon kit with relay harness + ballasts for $209 plus shipping, and there is a $40 rebate until end of this week (12/31), say $185.
Pros: brighter than the halogens, straightforward install
Cons: costs nearly double, headlight readjustment seems prudent

I'm ready to spring, don't know which way yet! :open How 'bout a vote?

ender

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
#50 to this post :silly

1. Pure Diesel Power has a relay harness, 2 silverstars and the option to leave low beams on with high beams on, for $89+shipping, say $100.
Pros: brighter than stock on account of both bulbs and harness, reasonable cost, straightforward install
Cons: still just a halogen

2. HIDFoglight.com has the HID Xenon kit with relay harness + ballasts for $209 plus shipping, and there is a $40 rebate until end of this week (12/31), say $185.
Pros: brighter than the halogens, straightforward install
Cons: costs nearly double, headlight readjustment seems prudent

I'm ready to spring, don't know which way yet! :open How 'bout a vote?

I just switched from #1 to #2 and this is my opinion only. The "upgrade" of the halogens makes the bulbs VERY hot and they seem to die off a lot sooner. The 2nd time it happened I got a ticket coming home with only one headlight and it cost me $225 on the ticket.

Ender

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ender
Just to clarify, you are switching to the HID because #1 is too hot and you experienced shorter bulb life? Or you just switched and and it is the HID that is too hot?

Thanks!

ender

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think the "upgrade" makes the bulbs run too hot which shortens their life span. I had 3 bulbs die out in less than 9 months.

I have had a 35W hid kit for about 6 months and a 50W hid kit for barely two weeks and so far no problems, and no sign of overheating.

Ender

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I got a ticket coming home with only one headlight and it cost me $225 on the ticket.
They think you should carry a spare bulb in your back pocket? $225 is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Hid bulbs run very cool, no heat to them. When traveling in snow of freezing fog this can be a problem as they don't make enough heat to melt off the lens but other than that the low heat is fine.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Hid bulbs run very cool, no heat to them. When traveling in snow of freezing fog this can be a problem as they don't make enough heat to melt off the lens but other than that the low heat is fine.

I doubt that is a problem for me in Texas ! :laugh

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ender for clarifying...I'm going with the HID then, order it tomorrow after I verify 9007 fittings. :sweet

Crumm--that low heat can be a problem in snowy driving, I remember cracking a lens on a 78 Toyota pickup after a long night slog through a snowstorm from NY to MN...the ice scraper did it in. So now you got me wondering...Naw, I'll go for the HID anyway.

ender

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hah! If you have to use the heat from Halogen bulbs to melt the snow off of your car you have bigger problems than not being to see where you're going.

I have switched 2/3 of vehicles and would never go back. Driving out in the total dark in the back roads ... oh my it makes a big difference.

Ender

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I splurged for $200 on the HID "bi-Xenon" kit. Will ship in a week or so. The "bi" means it has a funky electro-magnet to adjust reflector angles for both high and low beam.

Questions:
1. anyone else have this?
2. any tips on headlamp re-adjust (besides adjust until nobody flashes at me)
3. how much/what to drink to have a bladder reserve for bio-melting the ice buildup on the lens (that's how Crumm probably gets away with these in AK! :D )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58