Talk about the 7.3L CPS Here!

firemediceric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Dad's 1998 F-250 diesel is displaying classic bad CPS symptoms. It dies while driving and belches a black cloud of smoke, but if you push in the clutch, shut off the key and then re-start it while rolling, the truck cranks right back up. Keep in mind, it's a 1998 truck, not a 1999. Did the '98s have the CPS? It is a 7.3.

I have a couple of used CPSs that I bought off of a guy to have as spares. I have a 1999 F-350 7.3. I am wondering if this will work for his truck?

My dad is not even sure what engine his truck has, he only knows it's a diesel and a 1998. I haven't been to his house to even pop the hood and look yet.

I tried to look on line for part numbers and got nowhere. Does anyone have a good site I can bookmark for when I need part numbers?

To add to my confusion, the site I was at listed a Camshaft Position Sensor ($100) and a Crankshaft Position Sensor ($40) What is this latter part and why is the Camshaft Position Sensor so much $$$? I thought they were about $25 now

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
My Dad's 1998 F-250 diesel is displaying classic bad CPS symptoms. It dies while driving and belches a black cloud of smoke, but if you push in the clutch, shut off the key and then re-start it while rolling, the truck cranks right back up. Keep in mind, it's a 1998 truck, not a 1999. Did the '98s have the CPS? It is a 7.3.

I have a couple of used CPSs that I bought off of a guy to have as spares. I have a 1999 F-350 7.3. I am wondering if this will work for his truck?

My dad is not even sure what engine his truck has, he only knows it's a diesel and a 1998. I haven't been to his house to even pop the hood and look yet.

I tried to look on line for part numbers and got nowhere. Does anyone have a good site I can bookmark for when I need part numbers?

To add to my confusion, the site I was at listed a Camshaft Position Sensor ($100) and a Crankshaft Position Sensor ($40) What is this latter part and why is the Camshaft Position Sensor so much $$$? I thought they were about $25 now

Nope, Not a 98. Either it is a 97 Old Body Style or a 99 Super Duty.

There was NO Power Stroke Trucks in 1998 Model Year (vans yes but not trucks)

New part number for the CPS is F7TZ-12K073-B

Check here on how to change it out ;)

TikiWiki : Cam Position Sensor Installation

The new one will work for a 97 or 99 truck :sweet

Should be about $25 SHIPPED! :D

Improved Blue CPS for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Diesel

:)

Mr. Thomas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What's a CPS? What does it do?
I bought one for a 466 -$104 . They said I'd experience a better running rig - so far,,,,,,,,,, NO DIFFERENCE! Did I just get flim-flammed?

Last edited:

lawtoolguy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
At 172000 miles now and have had 2 complete stalls within 2 months of each other and a couple of times she has just bobbled for a couple seconds. Are the new oem CPS ok for the older 95 7.3 TDS. I know I read in here some where that they different connectors. One has gold connector the other tin. Is this the same with the new this year CPS. Thanks in advance.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was out in pheonix this weekend and yesterday, the truck bucked but kept running. It died a couple times, but mostly it would kick the engine off at highway speeds then fire right back up. I never had to put it in neutral to restart it but I am thinking this is because I have the 6 spd.

I also got check engine lights. It made the 4 hour drive home. I am going to change the CPS today on it and order up the new gray one as my new spare for it.

I am hopping this was my problem. 104k on the clock now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58